1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

locking timing???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 10seclx, Apr 21, 2003.

1. 10seclx

how would I do this, i have an aftermarket msd dizzy. I cannot remeber the part # but it is the one for a carbed setup, cause that is what I am running.....also where should I lock it at, and what does this do, sorry bout all the noob questions, but I wanna know everything I can before I take on this large project:D

2. 86GT

you have to pull the distributor apart and take the springs out. Then, there is a pin that you hook the arms over that cause the mechanical advance. It's kind of hard to explain if you don't have a diagram. I still have the manual for mine, yours is probably the same (mechanical advance, for carb application.) Check out MSD's site and they may have the instructions there. Once you lock the distributor, you just set the timing normally where you want it, and it will stay there since there is no advance anymore. I run mine locked at 22 degrees.
    Mike

3. 10seclx

do you have any problem at idle??? also I have a btm to help with the boost. where would you recoomend me start at for locking the timing??

4. 86GT

Nope, no problems at all at idle or low speed. Brent did the lock out first and then told me about it, so I went that route. I have always had mine locked at 22*, so that seems to be a pretty safe place to start. I am going to try 24*, but haven't yet. I am fixing to take my BTM off of my car as I have seen many of them fail and cause some really screwed up problems. I am now running an electronic boost controller, and so I will run 12psi on pump gas and up it to 17-18 psi on race fuel, and just leave the timing alone. I have run up to 14psi on pump gas (93 octane) with the timing at 22*, so depending on how much boost you plan to run, you should be fine at that level. I also had some loading up problems when I had tried to run the BTM, I'm just not convinced that it works all that well with a carb where it can't reconfigure itself under certain situations.

5. 86GT

Forgot to mention, if you can't find the directions on the distributor, just let me know and maybe I can fax them to you or something if you have access to a fax machine. I don't have any way to scan them right now, but we could figure something out if needed.