1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

lets talk back yard BBQ

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by stang6990, Jan 10, 2010.

1. stang6990

its time to start learning to BBQ on my own b/c i am sick of this shit around here that they call BBQ. i have been helping my grandpa bbq and use dutch ovens since i was a little guy, now ive got to put my own flare into it.

ive been researching what i can use for a smoker and this is my thinking. going to make a smoker out of an alum. garbage can with a hot plate and cast iron skillet to hold the wood chips. then drill some holes in the can and put some rods into them to create a 'grill' for meats. hole in the top for a thermostat and then test and tune.

anyone have anything similar to this or a better idea? pictures you wish to share? :cheers:

no i am not going to buy an over priced smoking grills b/c i have seen stuff like this before and it works.

2. stangman9897

I went to school with this guy and he builds some of the best and big pits in texas he ships them all over the world, i know your not going to spend that kind of money but read some of the stuff on his site.

http://www.bbqpits.com/

3. EvilSports

I made my smoker out of an old fridge. Worked like a charm. Just lined the inside with plywood, screwed a row of eyelets on either side and bend some coat hangers to drop into an eyelet on either side to hang or skewer the meat from. Put a small electric hotplate on the bottom with a pot on it for wood chips.

From my somewhat limited experience I'd only say two things. First, and you may have all your recipes dialed in already, but I found that you never need as much smoke as you think. One single tray of wood chips was more than enough for a fridge full of homemade deer jerky. Any more and it picked up a sour acrid smoke flavor.

Second, I'm not sure how cold it gets where you live, but up here I noticed a huge difference in cooking times based on the outside temperature. And this was with an insulated fridge. That makes me wonder how well the garbage can would work in colder weather. Just something to consider.

If you are just using it to flavor the meat, I know it would work great. If you were looking to just throw your meat in the can and cycle a few trays of smoke and then cook it on the grill, you'd be in business. If you want to make jerky or something start to finish, I'd maybe consider something a bit more insulated.

If I was using a garbage can I'd probably use a rack(s).. When you design it consider ease of removal. The meat is going to stick a little bit to the racks so the ability to pull the entire rack out in a hurry would beat picking the meat off it with smoke blowing in your face. The only trouble with putting rods through the can to support your meat is that unless you cut a hatch in the bottom of the can, you're gonna need to remove all the meat and rods just to add more wood chips. I'd run a few bolts with washers through the can about 6-8 inches from the top. This will give you a ledge to set a modified oven rack on. Wire up a few handles for the rack and you're in business.

4. stang6990

all those reasons you brought up is why i am now reconsidering and looking into getting a terra cotta pot. better insulation, a grill will fit on the V shape with out holes, and ive heard concerns about the metal and heat and off gassing...

5. MONTEGOD7SS

Go hang out on thesmokering.com. Those guys could build a smoker out of anything, and got me going on my El Cheapo Brinkmann for a grand total of $17. It puts out great cue, and runs like a champ at 225 degrees for at least 8hrs on one load of charcoal.