1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Let's see your turbo boat headers.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by H20MOFO, Feb 6, 2009.

1. H20MOFO

I'm trying to figure out if I want mine tucked down like snypers or up like unchained's(mark55). I like how snypers are tucked in nice and tight, but I worry about heat. While I'm askin, what would be the best, header wrap??

2. Mark55

I'd like to see everyone's DIY turbo headers too. :2thumbs:

Here's a pic of mine and Mike's.
    Mikes are tucked in nice but I think they would be better on a jet than a V-drive application.
    I think his turbos are about the same elevation above the valve covers but mine are spaced farther apart.
    I like the way Mike built a T6 sandwich flange that supported it all back to the head.

When I built my headers I was advised to keep the pipes separated all the way to the flange to help spool up time.
    Now I don't think it makes any difference.

I'm not that familiar with the effectiveness of the wrap.
    I have always made heat shields out of thin aluminum and keep it about 1" away from the header tubes and that has worked good for me.
    I've made about 6 different variations of heat shields now.

turboengine12.jpg #ad

turboengine11.jpg #ad

3. SNYPER

Here are a few of mine in mock up stages, thats not the carb, hat or intake I am running. Once its not so damn cold over here I will build the heat sheilds, cold side piping and finish tig everything.

mock up 1.jpg #ad

mock up.jpg #ad

twin turbo 496.jpg #ad

4. H20MOFO

Nice pics guys, how and what do you attach the heat shields to? Any pics of those?

5. Mark55

The heat shield setup I had on the Stealth was simple.
    It covered the sides and bottom of the boat.
    You could still feel heat off the pipes.
    It also directed water from waves over the side into the center pod where the bilge pump was.

The heat shields I have now about totally enclose the headers and you can't feel heat off the pipes at all.
    It doesn't look real trick but it does the job good.
    I bolted a couple pieces of 3/16 alum plate to the front and back of the head and that contained the heat shields.

The thinnest aluminum sheet will do the job for a radiant heat shield.

Snyper, are you going to pipe the compressor tubes and intercoolers down alongside/under the engine ?

heatshields.jpg #ad

bpmay08.jpg #ad

6. SNYPER

Mark,

I think I am going to bring both compressor discharges to a y pipe and itno 3 1/2 over the valve cover into the IC, then out of the IC straight into the hat. Have a few different ideas but wont be set till I get to making it.

Travis

7. chevytoo

OHHH NOOO........not you. :welder: :2thumbs:

8. H20MOFO

I can't wait :chacha: lol

9. ash

one of my mates boat engine

10. tunneljet

Mark it looks like it would be much easier to change plugs and inspect them on your setup than the other one.

11. H20MOFO

Ash, that looks sweet, any boat pics? Mark, if you get a chance I'd like to see your(new) heat shields. Snyper looking fwd to seeing your intercooler set up also, I don't think I've ever seen an intercooler(blow thru) on a boat before, Pics,pics,pics.

12. Mark55

New turbo headers.

Turboheaderrs.jpg #ad

Turboheadersls.jpg #ad

13. Hass828

Man, those look killer Mark. Good work :2thumbs: , I like how the are tightly grouped, would be easy to build heat shield for those babies.

14. Mark55

Thanks Hass.

15. Hass828

Mark, have you given any thought to building a set with the turbos turned 180degrees from what you've been doing, so that the compressor intake would be pointed forward and the exhaust outlet would be toward the rear ? Seems like it would do away with some of the piping and lighten things up a little.

16. Mark55

I set it up every which way when I was figuring it out. :bang:
    With the compressors aiming forward, and if you don't want the compressor to be hanging over the valve cover, that puts the turbine housing farther behind the motor and it also requires that the hot piping come up vertically to put the T6 flange level. That is more tubing and the weight of the turbo is more cantilevered out behind the engine. I didn't like that aspect of it.
    My goal was to keep the hot side piping to a minimum and have good access to the valve covers.
    Also I wanted to use two opposing throttle bodies on the intercooler box and connecting the compressors to them would have required an S curve in the piping.
    Prop those Garretts up in position and you'll see the challenges involved.

The configuration I have now with them mounted crosswise has worked real well for me.

17. Hass828

I see what your saying, you know Mark, you should keep a jig setup and do a little marketing to sell a few sets of those. I bet that there's quite a few people that would be interested in a nice set of stainless BBC turbo headers. To bad that they're such a pain in the azz to build, and the costs of materials I'm sure would make them pretty expensive. But if someone is going to build a turbocharged BBC , they're not usually going to let the cost of a set of headers stand in their way.
    Nice job on the waste gates provisions, looks like that whole system is going to work out great.

18. H20MOFO

Nice, looks pretty damn good to me :cheers:

19. IMPATIENT 1

:D case in point :2thumbs:

20. Mark55

Thanks for the positive feedback.
    I turned the wastegates 90 degrees since the picture and now they both come out horizontal. The dump tubes aim uphill 45 degrees and that looks better. Sometimes you just have to see what it looks like tacked up and back up and do it over.

This is a considerable fabricating challenge but I enjoy it too. :2thumbs:
    We're going to dyno the motor in a few weeks and we'll see how she does with the new headers and larger turbos.
    I'm sure it will require some remapping of the EFI with less exhaust back pressure than before.

I made jigs for setting these up and have as much or more time in the jigs than a set of headers.
    I've sold a few sets of these and can make a set for anyone interested. All 308 stainless material with 1/2" flanges.