1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Less than a 1:1 exhaust/intake pressure possible?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by KooK, Jun 13, 2013.

1. KooK

I was talking with a man who claims that in the 80s, some Indy cars were using a setup that would allow them, "with the use of heat," to be able to achieve more intake pressure than exhaust back pressure. I'm finding this very hard to believe and wondered if anybody here had ever heard of this? I wouldn't believe that even a 1:1 would be possible. You can get close but, beyond atmospheric pressures, it doesn't seem logical to me.

2. MONTEGOD7SS

It's very possible. You have to think about the turbine diameter and leverage, not just pressure. Big turbo turbo Buicks are under 1:1 all the time. Your downpipe will also affect the pre-turbine pressure, because any pressure there will be added upstream.

3. PrecisionTurboMustang

Doesn't happen often but has been discussed here from time to time.

4. jridenour31

Very possible, just need a large enough turbine and downpipe.