1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

fuel pump question

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by crawlinotch, Jul 21, 2005.

1. crawlinotch

hey guys....i know its going to be hard to tell w/o knowing exactly which turbo i have, (its safe to say its upwards of 60mm) ive got a 331, i have 8/6 fuel lines, and i am using a 255lph intank pump...im looking to boost 12 psi or so before upgrading to an r-block type deal and/or big big boost....is a 255 going to be adequate for mid/low tens????

ALSO

i need a fuel pressure regulator, which is the most boost/user friendly regulator to get???

any help is appreciated...thanx again guys....youre helping me build my dream!!

2. hybred

:mora: and you will find all the answers you are looking for... there is probably more info on fuel sytems then anything else. i won't say it's impossible to run low 10's with a single 255 but imo i think your going to be cutting it close. most here will tell you NEVER skimp on the fuel sytem. if you use the search button you'll find a post with info on a page called fullish tendencies. it has an abundance of info/calculations to help you get it right. you will also find some have done things like twin 255's and splitting the fuel rail feeding individual sides ect. most bite the bullet and go aeromotive. good luck.

3. hybred

:mora: and you will find all the answers you are looking for... there is probably more info on fuel systems then any other single subject. most here will tell you NEVER skimp on the fuel system. starve your motor and you'll be wishing you hadn't . can a single 255 give you enough fuel to support hp #'s to get you into the deep 10's? probably not a great idea. if you do some searching you'll see most bite the bullet and go aeromotive but some have come up with some creative solutions like running a 255 and a inline pusher. some using twin 255's and splitting the fuel rail to feed each side independently ect. good luck.

4. crawlinotch

thats the thing, my car is purely a street car..im going to run it for time only just so i know how fast it is, but its a street car...not that i street race (too often) but i dont want to have a sump and a whining fuel pump, that gives too much away....i know to stay away from those cars for the most part LOL...ive heard of people doing something like the 255 then a vortech t-rex pump inline or something like that, hopefully it'd be enough...

5. Enginerd

I'll show you my setup at NMRA. I have twin external 255's currently with a stock tank/pickup tube.

FWIW, I went 10.30's on a single 255, no FMU, all stock lines/rails, and 36lb. injectors. I know I was pushing it, but it worked for a good while. Eventually the block cracked, but I don't think it was a fuel problem. Head gaskets were fine, as well as hyper pistons.

Rob