1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

lentech auto or tko manual w/turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ponypowa2, Feb 26, 2005.

1. ponypowa2

Hey all, I have a manual (stocker t5) stang at the moment. Im in college so moddin my car is a excrutiating slow process.. however this summer I plan on switching my transmission out (and going turbo) and have a few questions about the lentech/tko transmission. I have a 94 gt convertible which is heavy already and am wondering if anyone knew the weight differences between an auto lentek setup or the 5 speed tko setup. I know there is a % hp loss between manual and auto but about how much more of a loss is it? My first goal for the car is 450hp (stockblock capacity) entirely for street use (rare track occasions) which leads me to my final question. Will there be a huge ET difference between the lentech auto and the tko 5 speed (manual vs auto) ? I like to measure twice and cut once so any help would be appreciated

2. 65ShelbyClone

lentek auto or tko manual w/turbo

1. Its LENTECH

2. Tremecs are heavy and the weight difference between a TKO and AOD is probably small, especially in a convertible.

3. Manuals are about 5-7% more efficient than an auto when it comes to overall power output, but an AOD will eek out about the same highway mileage as a T5 in equal cars.

4. An auto wont make you faster, just more consistent. A good driver can really narrow the gap, not to mention sticks are alot more fun.

3. I8URICE

an auto WILL make you faster if your running a high horsepowered car...

even at 500 hp my car was a waste with the tremec I had, you hit the gas a shift as fast as you can,, it was a joke....

nobody can shift as fast as a automatic...

if your looking at under 500 hp, go with a stick.(more fun)... over 500 hp,, go with the auto..( waste of time to shift)

the lentechs are awesome (I have the strip terminator)

4. TurboSN95

get the TKO for your car, it will be fun as hell, as long as you can shift! The lentech is nice, I say its much heavier than a TKO, only because I installed a TKO in my vert by laying under the car and bench pressing the TKO into place. No way in hell would I try that with my Lentech!!!!! And the TKO is probably 20 lbs more than a T5 if i had to take a guess.

5. 1slow86stangGT

When I bought my TKO 600 the guy I bought it from says it ways 110lbs. I switched from a T-5 to an auto and then back to A stick. if you are going total dragstrip there is no other way to go than Auto, but on a street car that is up to the person.

6. SoL_93GT

On the track the Lentech will be faster than the TKO especially with a lockup converter, the auto is heavier but not by much. If you're not too concered about going to the track then I would stick with the 5 speed, their more fun on the street. You didn't say anything about price and how much you can afford, one of the reasons I didn't go with a Lentech over the TKO is because the Lentech is much more expensive. And for the record 450 hp is not the stock block capacity 500-600 at the wheels depending on your supporting hardware is more like it. Over 600 at the wheels and it's only a matter of time before the block cracks.

Briane

7. ponypowa2

Cost is not a big issue with me, just equals more time saving :D I just do not want to be replacing trannies frequently. My plan is to get as much hp out of the block without it being a timebomb, and maybe later getting a new block. I have heard 500hp is stressing the block but I cannot go out and test it. Last thing I want is a broken block on my daily driver. If I were to go with the lentech what would I need besides the transmission and converter? If it is too pricey I may just end up sticking with the 5 speed.

8. SoL_93GT

The only other things you'll need is a shifter and transmission cooler. Lentech's aren't cheap, the one I wanted is $3000 just for the transmission and I got my TKO for $1600.

Briane

9. TurboSN95

My Lentech with the options was probably around $4k, but its been good to me and still kind of fun with the trans brake and the manual vb.

10. WaterPog

You just don't hear about 5-speed turbo cars pulling 1.4X or lower 60' times very often do ya?

As was said earlier, if you're plannind on drag racing first, and street car 2nd, go with the auto...If you want a street car first then go with what you like.

11. arwildstang

If you can get over the $3800. to $4000. with the recomened upgrades, the lentec is the way to go. You will need good cooler to control fluid temps and a temp gauge so you will know if it's getting over 250. A production shifter will work, but an after market shifter would be better. If you go with the TKO and your luck is like mine,then you may find the lentec to be cheaper over the next 2 to 3 years especially if you break 500 or more RWH even if your stock block lives. Good luck with which ever way you choose to go. Charles

12. kstinson

:rockon: Manual transmission all the way for my daily driver. Of course i do agree you should go with an auto for a high power car running at the track. A good auto can shift much faster than the fastest stick driver. Just my 2 cents

13. BOSs5.0

I used to think this till I saw some guy post a vid in the lounge on some wicked nitroused mustang. That goddamn thing shifted so fast I couldn't believe it.
    But, all good autos can shift just as fast while only a fraction of mustang drivers are able to. I'm in the very poor shifting crowd. That's why an auto is likely to be in my car sometime soon.

14. ponypowa2

the TKO is rated pretty high (the 500ftlb + models), does it break often?

BTW do you have the link to that fast shifting nitrous mustang? lol i gotta see that

15. SoL_93GT

No they have been pretty reliable behind motors well in excess of that. And you can get the TKO 600 model which is rated at 600 tq.

Briane

16. BOSs5.0

17. davidl340

I'm having the same question. Rebuild my AODE with a transbrake, or go to a TKO eventually.

18. Naked Raygun

Why not buy a AOD, you can get them real cheap..no one wants them. Get a $550 Lentech Strip Terminator AOD valvebody, a a non-lockup convertor, and top it of with a transgo shift kit ($75)?

They are said to handle 600+ hp and come with a 3-year warranty.

Should be around $1000-$1300 dollars depending on if you do it yourself or know a nice mechanic.That's a lot cheaper than 4k.

19. Disney Lincoln

but try lifting the TKO, flywheel and clutch assembly into place. Overall, the Lentech with a 9"-10" converter wont be much heavier than a decked out TKO with a billet steel flywheel and clutch hangin off of it.

I broke my TKO in my nitrous car once. Broke 1st gear.

I say go auto, with a loose stall, its just as much fun as the TKO, and generally easier on parts.

20. ponypowa2

I dont know alot about auto's, I would need a converter and transbrake? What about the valve body? whats the minimum I need for street use?