1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Lean pop?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by tonym, Aug 23, 2004.

1. tonym

hey guys, we have had soem really cool nights around here and went out boostin last night. Boosted her good all night, hittin 10-12 lbs a handful of times. At the tail end of my drive, i was in 3rd gear, and hit the pedal, spoooled about 7-8 lbs, and was off. After about 4-5 seconds of pulling, I heard what sounded like a gunshot from the back of the car, I assume a backfire. Now, this cant be good... AF was around 12.1 when I looked down. Fuel pressure was fine, temp stayed level, and oil pressure was still there.

Any ideas what caused the pop?

2. Red91StangCT

Hmmm....unburned fuel stuck in the cats, cats got heated, and lit he fuel. Happend to my buddy a few times. If you are not running a cat, then the mufflers might catch some gas and light it up. Other than that, no idea, maybe lean?

3. tonym

no cats, off road to Dynomax UltraFlos.... it ran stron all night, and I was afraid to push it after the pop. I just limped her home, with the check engine light flickering on and off

4. Red91StangCT

Hehe, check your IC pipes??? Just today, going to marks, my buddy's sn95 did the same thing. Are you seeing boost while you rev??? If you're not, BINGO.

5. tonym

The CE makes me believe the IC pipeing may be the culprit..... I will check it out tomorr. and report back

6. TurboSN95

is it possible that oil could be getting through the motor and then burning?? I would have thought it was just a little rich and then BAM! My Talon used to do that.

7. SteedaJeff

Tony--- the intercooler piping may have popped off.

8. tonym

The only way it can get in is if it bleeds by the rings. My PCV system is vented out, and not to the intake....

9. tonym

Thats where I will start tonite.....

10. tonym

I think this may be my problem, can anyone confirm?? :rolleyes:

11. tonym

12. TurboSN95

time to make brackets!

13. tonym

14. Joe

Brackets and t-bolt clamlps

15. Disney Lincoln

Superglue Holmes!

16. gt40_5.0

Houston we have a problem! doh

17. SteedaJeff

run a SMALL BEAD of BLACK RTV in the coupler before slipping it back on and clamping it.

it will stay on quite nicely![​IMG]#ad

18. 19COBRA93

I use the old hairspray method combined with clean components and T-bolt clamps.

19. Mikes88Stang

tony how big is the inlet with the rubber couple on? I got a few extra T-bolt clamps lying around.

20. tonym

thanks Mike, but I dropped an order with hightemp today.!!