1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Lean cold start?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by bgjohnson, Mar 5, 2010.

1. bgjohnson

Hey guys,

Got some quick questions to throw your way. Tell me what you think.

First off I will say. I have a 408 with 42# injectors, do NOT have a tuner, just an ABACO MAF. I have the MAF adjusted to hot A/F is pretty good, maybe a little fat.

Usually when I first start it when it's a bit chilly outside it will idle fine. Then I as I start to take off, it will break up a little bit and lean pop. After about a block it's fine, or if I tip into the throttle a little harder.

Now I just did a wire tuck, 90mm TB and TSFR BOX upper intake. When I first fire it up l after disconnecting the battery it goes super rich and just dumps fuel. I try to rev it and it goes full lean and won't even rev over 4k, just pops. Won't idle at all, then just as it gets a little heat in it, it kicks out of it and runs great.

Is this something a tuner will fix, or could I be having MAF problems? I haven't had a chance to restart while keeping the battery connected since I'm still working on it. I could just have it so modded the computer has no idea what's going on. I am going to be buying a Tweecer R/T here pretty soon. Just wanted to get opinions, see if anybody else has had this.

2. yellowpony

Do you have a wideband gauge? The only reason I ask is that, it can actually pop if it is too rich. Are you sure it is going lean, or when it gets warm it is actually leaning the car out? My car is a different setup, but on warmup it likes to idle at about 12.8-13.1 until it gets above 120* then I can lean it out. A tuner can get that taken care of.

Anthony

3. bgjohnson

I do not have a wideband on it yet. I know the beginging part is rich because it makes a nice bit of smoke.

Then say if I try to hold the gas at a certain RPM level it just tries to surge and dies. I have to modulate the pedal just to keep it running until it warms up slightly.

4. Disney Lincoln

Wait. You have a 408. I'm sure some big heads and cam. A Box TFS-R intake. 42# injectors. etc. And you're surprices it doesn't run perfect when cold? I'm surprised it runs at all! :lh: Seriously. You MUST get a tuner. The Tweecer can fix it with a good tuner.

5. bgjohnson

Haha, I know I'm nuts!

My Abaco MAF helped a TON, when it's warm it runs fine. I've had it on the sniffer so I know it's not in any danger of washing the rings out.

I drove it home yesterday and it started fine. I'm wondering if there was a ground issue when I first started it, we redid a ton of wiring. I'm going to be adding a ground strap kit to it soon and getting my tuner ordered. Completely untuned it still made 400RWHP and 430RWTQ. This summer it should drive perfect when I done tweeking on it.