1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Leaky Accufab 70mm TB

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Bigfoot, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Bigfoot

I have a manifold designed for a 70mm Ford style TB on a Galant VR4. My turbo spool is 700 rpm or slower than I expected so I did a pressure test and found both ends of the TB shaft leaking badly. I could feel the leak with my hand. I just talked to John at Accufab and he tries to tell me

A: It can't be sealed up. :(
    B: This won't cause slow spooling.:rolleyes:

OK, I might be able to seal the TPS side somewhat, but has anyone been able to seal an Acculeaker TB?

Is there a better TB for a blow through application? One with seals?

Thanks, and BTW there is a SBF turbo motor in my future so please be nice to the rice.

2. 351Freak

hehehe...

we only SERVE rice here...best when eaten hot...

anyway...this is a familiar topic...curious myself...since I got 2 of em feedin' 408 CUBIC INCHES OF RICE EATIN SMALL BLOCK...

:taunt:

3. Disney Lincoln

Probably no need to seal it really.

I also dont think theres any way in hell its causeing the slow spool time. Thats somewhere in your tune.

4. ziptie007

yep i agree.

5. Bigfoot

I searched here before posting and found some Accufabs that leaked and others that didn't, so it must be factory and they're played it off. I don't want to gamble with another one.

Anybody have good luck with Professional Products, Mac, Edelbrock, or Holly TBs? Any of these have seals? How about idle air control, this thing is tough to start.

Any boost leak is bad for spool and I've got a bunch. I could still advace the intake cam, otherwise the tune should be pretty good and it's tuned for midrange. I made 435 whp at 18 lb on 93 octane and 475 on race gas at 25 lb before that leaky head gasket gave out. It should have another 50 or so in it when I get it back together. Not bad for a sweet idling daily driven sleeper 4 dr with leather and all power goodies. I'm going to put a child seat and a couple of toys in back just for effect. :D

BTW your Cobras have nice front brakes, this thing stops great now.