1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Another How much power can it make on pump gaz

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Rotax, May 24, 2016.

1. Rotax

Wondering what the community here thinks of this.

This is an old project that i'm thinking of finally doing.

Specs

331cu
    Total engine airflow 185cc Twisted Wedge
    8.6cr
    Super Victor intake manifold 90mm TB no elbow yet
    Small solid roller 240/236 ~600 net lift 115°LS 240 lbs on seat Powerband is supposed to be roughly 3500-7500 as per cam card.
    GT4718 88mm .96 ar
    Hot side is a HP performance with 1¾ primaries 3" crossover, 3½downpipe, to dual 3" Ultraflo mufflers and tailpipes.
    Cold side is what they called their "extreme intercooler and tubing" leading to driver side throttle body. Speed density.

Might use meth injection one day but so much to do before even thinking about this for now.

Most octane fuel at the pump around here is 94

What do you think is doable safely with the stuff above?

Thanks TF.

2. Rotax

The intarweb isn't what it used to be.

3. Disney Lincoln

Guessing power numbers on a might do project lost it's luster a long time ago. That exact same combo has probably been built on these boards already.

4. Rotax

Also looks like there is no one left maybe except you in here.

Project is coming along.

Whatever power it can do is gonna be fine.

I just don't know how much safe power can be expected. Guessing 425 on motor because of cam and compression, so kinda double this number and maybe some.

Thanks anyways.

5. myturbocobra

What kind of sbf are you talking about here? Anything special?

6. Rotax

Kind of normal sbf . Details in first post.

7. Disney Lincoln

Stock block? If so, that will limit the power, not the pump gas.

8. Disney Lincoln

If its an aftermarket block, then I'd wager 1K possible on pump.

9. Rotax

Oops forgot to mention R302 block.

I'm not even hoping for that much, well maybe with meth, but that's something i have no experience with.
    Never ran intercoolers before also. Was centrifugal.
    Maybe that's what can make a big difference.

It's motivating.

Thanks.

10. ThomasWPT

Are you asking RWHP, what type of dyno (example Mustang vs Dynojet), what kind of transmission (manual vs auto). All of these factors come into play. For comparison I make 600 rwhp (Mustang dyno) on my 331 with mild HR cam, AFR 185 heads, air to air intercooler, AOD trans, with 92 octane fuel. This is about max usable hp for me on the street and I don't care to push the limit on pump gas. Just my opinion, but I would imagine your combo would probably be safe at 700-750 or so rwhp (with an intercooler). Much more than that and you start rolling the dice without meth injection or mixing in race gas. Cheers.

11. Rotax

Thanks, i was thinking more flywheel hp as Rwhp can vary a lot depending on transmission.
    Thats more than i thaught. Intercooler must be really help with pump gas.

Of course it prolly will make more power than i'll be able to use.
    One thing at a time.

Not a drag car just a fun street car with lot's of acceleration and top end.

12. Mnlx