1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Are precisions ratings conservatiite?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by maverick75, Jun 10, 2016.

1. maverick75

How accurate are Precision turbo's ratings? are they conservative?

Got a new engine project, customer wants to make to make 1,000HP

Engine is a Mercedes AMG 3.2 out of a Crossfire, will be bored to 3.7
    Heads will be ported by us, as well as building the entire engine and turbo kit.

The intake manifold,ignition/ECU will be handled by another shop that specializes in Mercedes.

I got offered a pair of 5431 MFS T3/.63 at a great price and was wondering if they would be a good fit and are they capable of making 1000HP in a compound system? http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbo...tails/Entry-Level-Turbocharger---5431E-MFS/58

Thanks! we are slowly adding more turbo cars to out repertoire and have been amazed at the power they make, took a ton of convincing of our boss who just did big cubic inch NA builds.

2. Mnlx

Its tough to say, many have made more hp than a given comp map says they should, but maps don't lie, and the turbo life span probably suffers. Add that to the fact that Precision doesn't share its maps, and you don't have much choice but to believe what they say. Also, if there is a turbo out there that I wouldn't want to over spin its a Precision... Is this a primary, and secondary turbo compound, or a twin primary turbos over a factory roots type charger compound?

3. maverick75

It will be twin primary turbos without the roots blower, sorry for the confusion. We got the engine super cheap because the seller wanted to keep the blower off it.

Thank you so much for the information, I talked to the customer and got the budget increased so we will be using a pair of their 6262 units.

4. Monzsta

Being the car (The SRT-6) came with 330 hp @14.5 lbs of boost with a blower you have a decent hurdle ahead of you. A far greater hurtle if it's not an SRT. The 3.7 has a 97mm bore vs the 89.9mm bore of the 3.2, taking meat away from the cylinder walls where you need it the most at 1k power.

edit: looking at the 6262's they are a 735hp rated turbo... each! I'm not sure a 3.7 has enough heat to spin 1500 hp worth of turbo's.

Are you going to replate the aluminum block's silitec (similar to a dirt bike's nicasil) lined cylinder's after boring? Are you going to be sure the Crossfire's NAG1 is built to spec? The NSG 370 Has no hope of holding that power, even if you could get enough clutch in it to hang on. And let's not forget about the tiny 190mm rear end and half shafts...

I hope both you and the customer know what you're in for with this build. It's not an easy or cheap road.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  5. Jeremy

I agree, my 4.6L v8 can barely handle twin 6262's.

6. MonzaRacer

First of all is it only getting bored or stroked too. As for me on a Mercedes crap hole" yep seen waaaaaay to many crap Mercedes engines" AND niksil I would resleeve it. Cast iron is infinitely better on big boost. those oddball cylinder products turn out to be exotic fluff. Seen too many exotic designs and they are mechanical voodoo. Coatings and treatment on parts work so much better. But foundational parts, I just pass. There was fella with exotic liner blocks for racing and he failed miserably.