1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

laptop screen replacement

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by Skyl3rM, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Skyl3rM

Anyone kno a good place to get a laptop screen replacement?
    I just googled what i need and found stores like Screenaid.com and Yallstore.com and they're good priced but Ive never dealt with them before... Read some reviews and they're only like 5/10 so I dont know if I wanna mess with em or not..

Its a Dell Inspiron 1525 Model NO PP29L
    I searched Dell website and doesnt look like they carry the replacement parts from what I could find...

Anyway just gona see if ya'll knew of any good places.. Im fixing this for a lady I work with and dont want her to get ripped off.

Thanks in advance,
    Skyler

2. Colt

I've used Ebay several times to get laptop parts, I've found parts on there that I flat couldnt find anywhere else.. I just ordered a new power jack for a old Sony Viao last week, 6 bucks, I found others and they wanted like a 100 bucks, the damn laptop isnt even worth that.. I've also bought used/bad laptops off ebay, either for parts, or to repair ( I have like 7 laptop's in working condition LMAO )... In your case, it might be wise just to find a used laptop for parts and toss the good one back together.. The last 1 I bought was 10 bucks, just needed a new batt, and it was in better condition than the one I was trying to repair.

As far as other places, I dont think I've ever ordered from the same places twice, and I cant recall any that I've used off the top of my head.. If I haven't heard of them, typically what I do is figure out where they are located, and if it's within 2 days distance I'll do it ( if it's driving distance, I'll drive my ass over there and have a face to face, thats never happened though )..

3. blackandtan

ebay is where I would buy from , thats where we get alot of parts for computers.

4. Drac0nic

Find someone who's laptop tried coffee or similar via ebay is my opinion. They can and are a bit of a fucker to install but if it's a new enough lappy it's worth it. Keep in mind the point of diminishing returns however when you pay for parts.

5. Skyl3rM

yeah the laptops alright.. I tried telling this lady to just spend the extra money and get a new laptop.. she said she just had to keep this one... but wants to spend 100+ on the screen and wants to update to windows 7... :doh:

6. Colt

Windows 7? Really? How old is this turd?

My computers are getting up there in age, but there isnt a single 1 I'd put Windows 7 on.. For one, I dont like it ( do I really need to tell a computer 3 fucking times that I want to start a program? Nothing pisses me off more than that, if I tell it to do something, DO IT, dont ask me if I'm sure. Yeah, there are ways to get past that, but I dont know the in's and out's of Win 7 yet, but until I do, it's fucking trash ), 2, the most any of my computers can hold Ram wise is 2GB, from what I'm seeing, 4GB should be the lowest if you do anything more than surf the net and read e-mail.. I have 3 computers that get worked pretty hard, they are upgraded as far as they will go, and they are over clocked, there is no way in hell they could keep up with Windows 7, and what I do..

I've put XP on laptops I thought would be slow as hell on it, they were slow as hell as I thought, but whats the alternative? Windows 98? 2000? Fuck that.. The newest laptop I have, it's about 3 yrs old, 2GB of ram with just a 1.7 M processor, that poor bastard runs at the max, surfing the net, playing music, micro programming at the same time, it's all it wants, wish I could overclock this one, but hell it would probably burn a hole though the desk.

7. Drac0nic

Windows 7 is better than Vista is IMO, however CentOS>Windows in general IMO. I have Windows for Live Meeting some CAD stuff and some Cisco stuff. That's about it. I will probably eliminate most of that if I get VMware or Xen going nicely on a system.

8. TTAWD

9. Skyl3rM

Too bad they dont have the screen for the INspiron 1525

10. BottleFed70

Does she use it as a laptop? Might be able to get away with using an external display.

My experience with laptop screens - if it's more than 2 years old, it's not worth the hassle.

11. Skyl3rM

I threw that idea out... she said she only uses it as a laptop while shes on the couch.. i have mine on my desk w/ a 2nd monitor too.. Only take it on trips and whatever with me anymore.. Have a mini laptop that i use arond town working on comps

12. MONTEGOD7SS

I just buy em from an eBay top seller.