1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cleaning top half of motor

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by jt1776, May 19, 2018.

1. jt1776

I'm putting new heads on my small block chevy 350. How do you remove all that sludge from the the motor after I removed the heads and intake manifold. It is caked on and I'm not sure how to remove it. Thanks jerry from the motor city

2. Traction Issuez

Diesel or kerosene and a wire brush

3. Chuck L

If you are referring to the lifter valley, and you wash it down, the crap will end up in the pan, on the cam, crank, etc.. A mess.
    Going to have to block off the openings, keep it out of the lifters, etc.
    If there's that much crap, it's time to pull it, clean it right. The oil galleys are likely cruded up, too.

4. 91turboterror

+1 don't let all that crud leave the lifter valley if it makes it all the way down to the bottom it could clog the pickup and starve the engine of oil. I found that out first hand when I changed the leaky valve cover gaskets on my bronco2 . The guy I bought it from must have not changed the oil and when I disturbed it to change the gaskets some of the crud made it to the bottom and finished off the 2.8 v6. I ended up putting a 5.0 in it anyway lol. But I learned a lesson .

5. jt1776

Thanks Let me explain a little better. I have the motor on a engine stand. I have everything off and I just dropped the oil pan. If I have it this far should I replace the lifters. So I do believe everything should just drop right thru. Thanks jerry

6. jt1776

7. jt1776

I actually have everything off the motor. It's on a engine stand right now. I just pulled the oil pan, so my thinking everything should fall right thru. While I have it apart should I replace the lifters and oil pump. I want to do the right not twice. Thanks jerry

8. Chuck L

Doubt that will be the case.....

9. 91turboterror

Your at the point where you might as well go all the way if it's in the budget . How far do you wanna go ? Surface the decks? Debut the engine? New cam bearings? Chase all the threads? Hot tank the block?A new oil pump and lifters wouldn't be a bad idea.

10. jt1776

No it isn't in the budget I wish. But I think I'm going to do everything but the crank. But I'm in a pickle now. I took off the timing chain, by mistake, and I moved the cam. Now when I put the new timing gears on, how do I align them to the crank. Because stupid me I didn't take a good picture. By the way I'm a woodworker trying to be a mechanic..Thanks

11. jt1776

I am replacing the lifters and probably the cam..

12. jt1776

Thank you for the advice. I'm going all the way. It really isn't that much more.

MCA likes this.
  13. Forcefed86

Spray it down good with some sort of petroleum distillate to help break it up and let it sit overnight or so. Acetone and ATF are pretty awesome, but even WD40 is fine. Then use a bunch of new razor blades at 90* to the face of the area being cleaned and scrape away. Best method for deck and head surfaces too...