1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can you splice the o2 sensor signal wires together with no problem?

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by 724QuikFast, May 8, 2019.

1. 724QuikFast

Just wondering in advance. i got 1 of the o2 sensors plugged in but i wont have the other up-pipe for a while.
    So until then i am wondering if i can just splice the signal wires together.

If no one knows i will try it and report back with the results within the month. I'll be able to tell you what the voltage reads without and with signal wire splice.

Hell i'll probably do it anyways just to see. Maybe my car is different than yours.

Any experiences ?

2. tbird

Details man.
    Is this stock O2 stuff?
    Aftermarket WB?

Detailssssssssssssssss

3. 724QuikFast

The type of o2 sensor in question is the stock narrow band Bosch sensor.

I hooked my computer up with a plain ol' OBD scanner-type USB-to-OBD2 program and it shows the o2 sensor voltage along with other data (MAF lb/min., Throttle %, IAT temp, coolant temp,short term/long term fuel trim, load %, ignition timing, etc.)

Let me get this replacement coil pack installed this weekend first before i ramble on some more.
    Also just plugged up a boost leak that poofed the extremely dry-rotted evap canister line in half . i think i'm making some boost now. when i blip the throttle in neutral a few times it hits 4psi(simulates a 2step, yeah? My profile pic is from me doing idle blips). i guess it was enough to break the line.

Several things more about my car but i just rambled on too much anyways hahaha. (alternator diode, ground short, plume of smoke, learned some more electrical..)

4. tbird

Sorry I dont have an answer to your 02 question. I feel like it wont work based on how I know 02 sensors work.

5. DeathTrap

Sorry, but I'm pretty certain you'll get a false reading. Make a little panel with two toggle switches so that you can run while recording one bank, and then the other bank. Data log each side separately.

6. 91turboterror

Sometimes your better off waiting. Why get all antsy and not do things correctly.
    Get the other pipe on the other side and
    Don’t splice the o2s. o2s should be in the downpipe. I had somebody tell me to do that instead of adding a 3rd spot on the DP for it 2for NBO2 and 1 for WBO2 long story short I welded the 3rd bung in the DP

7. nxcoupe

Absolutely not! The sensor wires are how the sensor gets its comparitive O2. Simply put, air travels down between insulation and copper, any cutting or soldering of this path causes the O2 to show lean all the time.

8. ng8264723

I think a switch would be best