1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

K04 turbo leaking oil

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Meerkatmag, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Meerkatmag

Hi all, I'm in the UK and I've fitted a recon k04 turbo to my van. It's been leaking oil into the compressor chamber since install.

I've tried everything and can't get it to stop. I've fitted a new drain line which is the straightest and biggest that will fit. I've fitted a turbo smart 40psi reducer. And today got desperate and fitted a 1.5mm reducer as well. I've checked crankcase pressure using a sensor and it's around 1.5psi on average, dropping to atmospheric some of the time. All this and it still leaks oil pretty much the same amount. It drips out the bottom of the compressor housing and gets blown into the intercooler pipes.

I'm starting to think maybe the turbo hasn't been rebuilt properly. But before I remove it does anyone have any ideas? Happy to post some pictures if it helps.

Thanks in advance

2. bbi_turbos

Some people put a plug in the oil drain after balancing. Make sure there is no plug.

Improper seal end gap would cause leakage.

Also, not being balanced properly will cause it to leak more. On my balancer, oil will leak past the seal, then gradually reduces to 0 when its balanced.

3. Meerkatmag

Thanks for the reply! When I was installing I did look into the drain hole and it looked open to the inside so don't think there is a plug. The drain hose gets hot as well like there is oil flowing.

Balancing sounds like a good call. Would there be any other symptoms of an unbalanced turbo? It's working very nicely besides the leaking. It was quite cheap so this does sounds likely.

I also think the leaking is worse the harder I drive it, presumably the faster it spins the more the balance matters?

4. bbi_turbos

Depending on the balance, there could be a whir sound, but it would be hard to hear with a car engine running.
    On a high speed balancer, it's very noticeable. There should be a mark on the compressor wheel, it's a reference mark for balancing, along with some grinding on the shaft nut.

5. Meerkatmag

Thanks! I will have a look in the morning. I did take this attached picture a while back but it's very blurry so it's hard to see. I'll try to get a better picture and repost.

IMG20230930142448.jpg #ad

6. Meerkatmag

I took a much better photo of the compressor inlet, see attached. I also checked for play and the shaft moves in and out a bit (a couple of mm) and there's some left and right play as well.

Also this morning I piped in a vacuum pump to the crankcase just to be sure it wasn't a crankcase pressure issue. It held a vacuum of about -0.7psi while I drove for 30mins. The oil coming out of the turbo housing was exactly the same as before. So I really don't think it's a drain problem.

I think I will take it to be rebuilt. Do you agree this is a good next step?

20231022_132537.jpg #ad

7. bbi_turbos

If it moves in/ out a couple mm's then yes. Typical in/ out specs are .1mm.
    That's probably wear from the oil restrictor you have on it.

8. Meerkatmag

Thank you . I have only driven it about 20miles with the restrictior in so hopefully not done that much harm.

Can you tell if its been balanced from this image?

Many thanks

9. bbi_turbos

Looks like there *might* be a mark at 1 o clock.

10. Meerkatmag

A local company is going to rebuild it. They think it might have a cheap core, they said they see it a lot when people buy cheap turbos. I won't be making that mistake again. Once rebuilt I'll remove the restrictors as it should be fine with 65psi right?

Many thanks for your help!