1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

is anyone using the MSD 6530, 6AL-2

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by jim wingo, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jim wingo

curious if anyone is using the above box, sounds like it is sim. to the 6010 box for LS engines like i had, where you can use a laptop to program the timing curve with a map sensor

2. brianj5600

It is similar. You cam open the prodata software and look at the 6530.

3. rdub79

4. jim wingo

dam, a lot of reading-i run a DUI HEI dist now with vac advance, i guess i lock it in full advance, then use a timing light to set it at something like 40, then use the box to rem timing as needed?
    i called MSD, got some ass, he accused me of just calling him 2 mins. ago about it ????????, said i sounded like the same guy, all his answers were short, like he had an attitude
    my engine likes a lot of timing, not so good under boost, lol, so this box sounds ideal

5. blown385

6. jim wingo

whats the best way to lock the advanve, i didnt want to weld it in case i ever switched it back-maybe a stationary bar across the pins to lock it in place

7. BADGMC

If its an msd distributor get a instruction sheet off the website as it will tell you how to lock it out. It's not hard at all. If its an hei or other stock one welding is the most secure but you can make whatever you want to hold it. Just make sure it can't move as I had one let go on mine and when it backfired out the carb at wot I was lucky it didn't break anything.