1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Just dynoed car tonite, good news

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by jt351, Jul 15, 2011.

1. jt351

Just dynoed car tonite after 3 years of winging it and tuning it with hanger 18 mods on my vorteched blowthru. IT Made 512 rwhp with only a 190lph intank pump with just 3/8 lines and a mallory 4309 regulator. that is 3/8 feed and a 5/16return and it ran 11:1 afr to 7000 rpm. peak Hp was at 6000 rpm So I am proof you don't need a sumped tank. aeromotive pumps and 5/8lines, After A few runs I decreased rear jets to get to peak HP and closer to 11.8 afr. So fuel pump is enough. so I have to say there are are a lot of wrong guys on here saying you have to run these huge pumps out threre.

2. jridenour31

Re: Re: Just dynoed car tonite, good news

No offense but you're not making that much power and are probably running very low fuel pressure. You'd probably be in trouble if you were injected.

3. 10secgoal

I'd run it before thinking it's OK without a sump or a bigger pump. The track will be a bigger load. You might be OK though. But a sump will show it's need at the track also, along with jets extensions.

4. jt351

been to the track multiple times. I roadcoarse the car. On the track I've always run rich. On the dyno I finally leaned it out, I took 2 more jet sizes out of the rear. I was always afraid of leaning it out at the track not knowing if my wideband was accurate. but it was dead nuts to the one at the dyno. I also pretty sure a sumped tank would not work too well under the extreme braking and turning my car goes through at tracks. the guy was pretty impressed that the power was not dropping off. I told him I did not want a cool down, I wanted to get it hot to simulate track conditions. I drove the car for 1/2 hour before and put it right on the dyno heat soaked. and after 6 back to back runs I was between 505-515 hp and the later runs picked up more hp. he had a hard time believing it cause a FI car would get heat soaked and drop off power. So I was his first carb blowthru on his dyno.

5. cobrasan

great news but the dyno does need less fuel than the road and 11.8:1 is a little lean for me but I'm a cautious fellow anyway. No doubt the carb has allowed the use of the 190lph were the fulie guys would be melting pistons.