1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Source for 1/2" steel fuel line?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by cat herder, Nov 11, 2010.

1. cat herder

Source for 1/2" steel fuel line?

I'm trying to add a 1/2" feed and return to a stock tank sender and can't find the tubing ANYWHERE. Parts stores, nothing bigger than 3/8". Tractor and big truck shops all suggested the local hydraulics repair place, which only has seamless thick wall non-bendable steel pipe - not tubing. Any suggestions?

2. gotageta5oh

Re: Source for 1/2" steel fuel line?

Have you tried any of the site sponsors?

3. cat herder

No, not for this, yet. If I have to do that I'll just wait until I'm farther along with the project and get it at the same time as the flanges, clamps, etc. Hate to do an order for just this one thing that seems like it should be available local.

I looked at 1/2" copper pipe, but that's 1/2" ID, not OD. Don't like the thought of copper in something permanent like soldered in place into a tank sender. Aluminum = even worse. For something external like along the frame I wouldn't mind. What about electrical conduit? I couldn't find any 1/2" at the hardware store, but I suspect it's measured by ID, too.

4. 10secgoal

Even steel inside the frame rail isn't "legal" as far as I know.
    Electrical conduit can be bent. but all the benders are large radius, like 6in iirc.

5. cat herder

Well legal in regards to a track tech inspection is irrelevant, this is a street car with column shifter, bench seat and no tach. Is the factory 3/8" steel fuel line also not track legal? Steel tubing isn't legal, but aluminum tube and push-loc hose is? :huh:

I just need something bendable, 1/2" OD, that can be soldered/brazed in place of the factory pickup hard lines. Like the lengths of steel tube from a parts store but in 1/2". If there is stainless line in that size that is bendable with hand tools, I have not found it for sale anywhere. Jegs/Summit only has stainless up to 3/8", anything bigger is aluminum.

6. wantabe

stainless tube ??
    might get less contamination ??? from steel flaking off ?

7. 10secgoal

noooo....what I meant was just because you want steel, doesn't make it legal to put on the inside of the frame rail. Not that steel isn't allowed as a material. Figured you probably knew that, but would throw it out there just for Gp of anyone reading.

8. cat herder

Gotcha! But on a car with stock frame rails, line routed same as stock should be about as legal as legal can get (as long as the line material is OK). Right?

Yes, if I have to order stupid steel tubing, it'll probably be stainless. McMaster has lots and lots and lots of flavors in all kinds of wall thickness, hardness/heat treat, pressure rating, etc. Got any suggestions to narrow it down?

9. Matt Cramer

Copper has some pretty nasty effects on the fuel, too - it acts as a fuel catalyst, and contrary to what some hucksters will have you believe, the reaction a metal fuel catalyst promotes is to have your fuel turn into a gummy, varnishy mess.

McMaster-Carr is a good source of bendable tubing in just about any size.

10. mnm99

http://www.inlinetube.com/

Thats where I got my 1/2 STOCK fitting stainless feed and return line.

11. 10secgoal

Yeah, your fine.

I'd do AL for ease and cost honestly. But you could do SS if you wanted. steel would be my last resort because of moisture and rust.

12. livefast1

You could always run 2 3/8s lines.

13. cat herder

Yeah I've used copper before in a pinch, but only for short runs and where it's easy to get to. Don't like it.

Looking at McMaster I can narrow it down to two choices: 308 and 314 stainless. Any tips as to which is best?

Nice link, thanks! Oh, and rub it in why don't you - SURE this would be easy if I sold the car and got a Mustang! Finding stuff pre-made for a G-body is hard enough, make it a G-body El Camino (different fuel tank than Malibu/Regal/Cutlass/etc.) and I will have to build it all from scratch. :doh:

I like the aluminum line for long runs, in fact I already have a coil of it leftover from years ago. I will probably do push-loc hose for the feed, and AL for the return. I have seen these pumps peg out a 150psi gauge quicker than you can blink when accidentally deadheaded and the pressure rating on the AL tube kinda scares me. But the long runs are the easy part, it's the sending unit that's being a pain in the ass.

That'd be FOUR 3/8" lines - two feed, two return. And a vent. In a 2-3/4" OEM sending unit that already has bumps and dimples and holes in all the wrong places. Not fun!

14. mnm99

What year and make do you have?

I have a Camaro..

15. cat herder

:doh: Sorry... given the majority here, and something about 'mnm' in your nick made me think Mustang. Mine's an '80 El Camino.