1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

need help for chosing turbos, bov's, waste gates ect.. how to match them?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by SleepySierra, Dec 5, 2007.

1. SleepySierra

okay, i'm trying to learn about turbo set ups so that i can eventually do my own on a '99-'02 GM 6.0L (LQ4/LQ9/LS2) I want to run in the range of 10-20 psi in order to make about a 1000hp. I'm not going to attemp this any time soon, i just want to learn more about this so that i don't blow anything up when i do try something.

I think i'm going to be buying my stuff off ebay because it's costs so much less. I'm trying to put together a set up that will work but i have almost no idea if the parts will play nice with each other. this is what i'm kind off looking at right now:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/k27-turbo-charge...ryZ33742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GM-JDM-RS-Blow-o...ryZ33742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/60mm-Wastegate-R...ryZ33621QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...I think a few off you turbo experts will look at that list and ask what the hell am i thinking but i am LOST right now. I need some schooling on this stuff. Does anyone have a link or better yet a book that i can buy that explains all this. am i atleast close to being on the right track? :huh:

2. ltd351

i'm sure all the info you need is around here, just look at the builds section or the stickies, and all that, there is plenty of refference to many books.

IMO ebay parts and 1000hp are not going to play well.

3. SleepySierra

...i know it's not the best way but right now i have to go a bit cheap on this stuff. I actually should have worded that better and said that a 1000hp was my longer term goal. i guess right now i'm looking for something to "get my feet wet" in terms of a turbo set up.
    I was also thinking of buying a turbo kit that's for another V8 engine and just using the turbo, waste gates, oil lines, ect.. out of the kit and fabbing the piping myself. i would be looking at something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/t3-60-1-big-shaf...ryZ33742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If i do it this way then the parts should be made to go together and then i atleast don't have to worry about that part.

4. Anthony Fury

Read all of the links in the "stickys for newbies" at the top of the newbie forum. It's all in there, really.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is a great starting point. Search threads in the BS forum; someone scanned it all in and you can gank it for free.

Use the search button to find combos like yours. They may not be exact, but they'll be close.

Save your money and don't buy that ebay horseshit the first time out. You will wish you had put that money toward real parts instead of wasting it on walmart-grade trash, with no warranty or support.

5. Daddy

+ eighty seven billion six hundred and fifty six thousand two hundred and ninety five point three.

here's the link to Maximum boost, get a printer that can duplex, a half ream of paper, a beer, and wait.
    http://www.freetrust.be/piaa1/Maximum_boost.pdf
    Maybe eat some beans too while you're printing so you can take good dump when it's all done printing and thus have an excuse to start reading. Just make sure you move your legs around a couple of times so they don't fall asleep, and be careful of "the ring".

Also this thread should be moved to the Newbie section, you'll get more "positive" answers in there. Every answer you need is on this site.

Just stay away from Ebay, saying you want 1000 HP, don't want to blow shit up, and are looking at Ebay parts is like saying you're going to bang that really hot chick on the corner that has herpes without protection and you don't think you're going to get it.

6. SleepySierra

good point. i guess i better just do this right the first time.
    also thanks for the link to that book, i've read a few pages and it's already been very helpfull. Reading through the posts is helping too.
    now i've finally got a good start on this stuff, thanks alot guys :2thumbs: