1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help me diagnose smoking when cold issue

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Don Goose, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Don Goose

I just got this car a month ago and it's done this a few times. I always start my cars up and let them warm up before I drive them. Well here lately I'll start the car up and it doesn't smoke or anything. Once it's been running for 3-5 minutes it will start smoking pretty bad which I'm pretty sure its from burning oil. Once you drive the car for a few minutes it clears up and stops smoking.

My first thought was that it was the rings but it smokes a #### ton sometimes. Then one of my buddies mentioned the turbo seal as his went out in his turbo (but his smoked all the time). This is my first experience with a turbo car so I'm not too familiar with them or the common issues associated with them. Does this sound like it could be a seal in the turbo? If it is the turbo seal can I swap that out myself? The entire turbo kit doesn't have very many miles on it.

Combo
    HP Stage 1 kit
    DND 347
    Edlebrock performer heads
    Cobra intake
    42lb injectors

thanks

2. SlowJoe

not a turbo seal, like you said it would do it all the time, the smoke must be white right? my guess is it sounds like your drain your oil might be thick once it warms up the oil thins out and then makes it to the pan, the oil would go threw the seals to your exhaust.

3. Enginerd

:withu:

Cold oil too thick to drain properly from turbo, leaks past seal into downpipe. Been there, done that.

Rob

4. tonym

once warmed up, it burns off.

5. Don Goose

So I take it I should just deal with it?

6. tonym

Run thinner oil ya hump

7. rickyhaiber

hahahaahahaaa

Some people just don't get a clue when people tell them things lol.

8. SlowJoe

And to think his screen name starts with DON ya no don there.

9. rickyhaiber

10. Don Goose

Call Me Don "beat you down steal your car and break into the 10's 1st time out" Goose

11. Don Goose

what weight do you run?

12. rickyhaiber

Sure thing, boss!

13. rickyhaiber

What weight are you currently running?

It really doesn't matter what someone else ran on a completely different set-up. You have to go off of what you are currently running and see if something thinner wouldn't work better with your car.

14. SlowJoe

he don't even know he just bought this car so that idea is out the door, the tool should just pour in some 10-40 and go from there.

15. tonym

about 260. I could lose a few lbs

16. Don Goose

Wasn't talking to you..... :clem:

17. Don Goose

You and me both! :nuts:

18. rickyhaiber

Good one...and next time try to post your retarded questions like this one in the newbie section where it belongs...but seeing as how you couldn't even get the clue to run thinner oil in your POS stock block I don't think you will! :2thumbs:

19. SlowJoe

Ouch i thought rachel ray gave you some good eating tips on the food netty

20. Don Goose

How the fuck was it a retarded question? The almighty SJ didn't know the answer and I'm pretty sure your ass didn't know it either. By thinking I was talking to you you're the fucking idiot that obviously has no clue how a message board works. So why don't you go suck another Asian cock and get the fuck off my jock!?!