1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Junkyard turbo reccomendation for 3.9 liter DOHC V8 spinning at 6,500 rpm's...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by rocket5979, May 2, 2006.

1. rocket5979

Ok, so what I want to know what are any of your junkyard turbo reccomendations for a 3.9 liter DOHC V8 spinning at 6,500 rpm's? Whatever turbo I go with will be in a remotely mounted location too BTW.

Currently the engine makes 310 horsepower and I will be looking to add another 100 or so horsepower to that in total. I need a turbo that would be somewhat inexpensive and fit my needs of a little boost in power but not a full racecar type of thing.

I looked at a few tutorials in here and other sites and tried to read the compressor maps but I really got confused by it all. I admit I am more of a supercharger guy, but I am trying to change that.

I would be really appreciative if someone knowledgeable about turbo sizing could help me.

Rob

2. k-barr11

I think you need to give more info. What car is that a Lincoln LS?

3. rocket5979

Re: Junkyard turbo reccomendation for 3.9 liter DOHC V8 spinning at 6,500 rpm's.

What else is there to take into account besides matching the turbo to the engine displacement, Max RPM, VE, total CFM flow and so on? All other issues in terms of what vehicle this is in does not matter being that I have that all taken care of.

It will be a DD/weekend track vehicle so no super laggy turbos and also no instant boost/overspinning turbos of course. Of course, if there is something that will fit fairly close, then I would most likely consider it. I cannot really think of much more info to give to get a turbo reccomendation.

4. gofastmerc

They is not a lot of info out there on remote mount turbos. You might have to talk to some turbo dealers to get the info you are looking for. My understanding is that a typical turbo does not work well in that app. Ext gasses are a lot cooler back there, really messes with how the two sides are sized to each other.

Just my .02, based mostly on hearsay, and no real facts. :angel:

And if you want that perfect turbo, "so no super laggy turbos and also no instant boost/overspinning turbos" , chances are good your going to pay for it, no free lunch in turbo land.

5. rocket5979

Re: Junkyard turbo reccomendation for 3.9 liter DOHC V8 spinning at 6,500 rpm's.

I hear ya on that. I know it would be hard to find a junkyard turbo that would be a perfect match for my vehicle. But if I can get somewhat close ot that then it would be nice. I don't expect it to be perfect by any means though.

6. Explorer5.0

Look for a turbo off of a Cummins Dodge truck. They have the HY35 and HX35, which would probably be a good starting point for that engine. The HX is a little larger and is on the manual transmission trucks, HY on the automatics. These are different size turbine housings available to tune in the spool time. These Holsets have one of the most versatile compressor maps out there- they can make 500whp on a 7000rpm 2.5liter engine, and also make ~400whp on a 351.

There arent many junkyard turbos for single applications, mainly because the larger turbos are from non wastegated diesels and have huge turbines. Now if you are going with twins, you can look for some 4cyl turbos. There is a list in the stickies of the JY section that tells what tubochargers are on what cars.

7. rocket5979

Justin, I scrapped the junkyard turbo idea a while ago because there just wasn't enough benefit for the cost difference ratio. I will be an STS dealer here soon so I will be going with a T04E from them along with a few other parts from their universal stage 1 "kit". Thanks for trying to help though.

8. Explorer5.0

Sweet, when you become a dealer, I will probably buy the oil pump controller from you. As you probably know, the pump runs at a slower speed until you get into boost, then it speeds up- but mine just runs wide open all of the time. The pump is rated for comtinuous use, but it is just loud at idle.