Jonathan`s HP Turbocharged 1993 Mustang Cobra #4541

Discussion in 'Featured Turbocharged Cars and Trucks' started by TTF/Ken, Jun 12, 2013.

By TTF/Ken on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:33 AM
  1. TTF/Ken Staff Member

top.jpg
    Current Combo:

Turbo System:
    HP Performance stage 1 turbo kit T-60 turbo

Engine and Management System:
    Probe Forged 347 Stroker
    Stock block (studded and girdled)
    X cam
    Stock ECU, Autologic dynotune

Induction and Fuel:
    Custom Fabricated upper with stage 3 ported lower
    Victor Jr. Heads (out of the box)
    Complete Aeromotive System (tank to rails)
    60 lb Siemens Deka Injectors

Ignition and Exhaust:
    MSD Digital 6
    Blaster coil
    10.4 Taylor wires
    3.5 down pipe
    Custom y pipe (3 inch)
    Borla Mufflers strait through design (3 inch)

Transmission and rear:
    Tremec TKO II
    Spec 3 clutch
    Aluminum Driveshaft
    3.55 gears and 31 spline Moser Axles
    Ected differential with c-clip elims

Front Suspension:
    Lakewood 90/10
    Eibach Drag Launch Springs
    Steeda CC Plates

Rear Suspension:
    Lakewood 50/50
    Eibach Drag Launch Springs
    HPM Mega Bit Jr's
    Steeda upper control arms
    HPM Sub frames and driveshaft loop
    Competition Engineering anti-roll bar

Tires and rims:
    17' Stock 93 Cobra wheels (welds on the way)
    245 kumho (front)
    255 Nitto NT555 (rear)
    Track: Weld 15x3.5 with front runners
    Weld 15 x 8 with ET Street Radials 275/50/15

Body:
    Stock

Future plans:
    Build a 4 bolt block this winter and upgrade my ECU.
    Also I am going to upgrade to T-66 or T-76 turbo

Background:
    When I bought the car it was in bone stock form, with a Paxton SN-92. This car with street tires would run 8.90's in the eight mile. From this point I decided to change a couple of things, to up the power level. I decided to change the cam and Intake. This would turn out to be a disaster. I paid a guy to install the cam and intake, but when he was scraping off the gasket from the timing chain cover, some fell into the oil pan. I arrived to pick up the car and take it for a test drive and I did not get a mile and the motor started knocking!! I looked down and I had no oil pressure. I had the car towed home trying to minimize the damage that had occurred to the bottom end of the motor. The next weekend I tore the motor down and was able to scrape a handful for blue timing cover gasket off of the oil pickup. Spun all but one bearing. From this point I decided if I wanted something done right, I better do it myself.

The car sat for a couple of months while I was deciding how I wanted to fix the car. I decided to build a 347. Drew Davis from Rotating Dynamic was called on to build the motor. After about 5 months I had the motor back in the car and ready to take it back to the drag strip. During the down time, I upgrade most of the suspension and ignition system. My first run down the drag strip on Nitto drag tires I run a 7.90 @ 83 mph. A couple months past and I took the car down to Rockingham dragway in North Carolina and ended up running a best of 12.10 @ 116 with a 1.8 60 foot time.

Once winter came back around, I decide to sell the SN-92 and actual put the boost friendly pistons to work. I installed a Kenne Bell Blowzilla with a 12 pound pulley. I will not lie, I was amazed by the torque and power that this supercharger generated but with most superchargers I ran into detonation issues and would never get the Kenne Bell to run like it was supposed too. So off came the KB. I call HP performance and talked with there staff and they put me into a stage1 turbo kit. I got this turbo right before everyone started ordering them, so it only took about 2 months for me to receive the kit. I installed the kit and had the exhaust reworked. I can not describe how much more power I had with the turbo and that was with 8 pounds of boost!! With no tuning I took the car to the local 8th mile drag strip. I did not plan to drag the car but I got persuaded to make a pass. I had my street tires on at the time. I left the line easy and got into it, it spun through 1st, second and finally caught traction n third gear. I ended up running an 8.30 @ 102 mph.

I know I was generating a good amount of power and decided it was time to take the car and get it dyno tuned. I called up Randy Haywood @ Haywood Speed shop and he was eager to start tuning. I pulled the car on the Dyno and made the first pull. With no tuning, not even a chip in the car, the car made 565 Hp and 632 TRQ @ 4200 RPM's. I was amazed and then pissed because the reason Randy had stopped the pull was due to me running out of Fuel. So I drove the car 2 hours back home and let the car sit until I could gather enough money to upgrade my fuel system. I bought a complete Aeromotive Kit and 60 pound injectors. I once again drove the car back down to Haywood Speed shop to finish the Tune. This time the car would take about 17 pulls to get it right. To save the stock Block, we de-tuned the car and locked out the total timing @ 18 degrees. Showing 8 PSI and 18 degrees of total timing, the car made 542 HP and 610 TRQ. I was happy with that and drove the car home. Since that time I have made a couple trips to the drag strip, the best time I have ran is a 6.90 @102 with a 1.59 60 foot. I will never own another belt driven power adder again!!! Thanks for the opportunity to be featured on such a great website.

Best time as of 4-7-05: 6.90 @ 102
    10 pounds of boost made 565 HP 632 rwtq pump gas

Side Shot 2.jpg Fuel Pump.jpg Engine 3.jpg Engine 1.jpg Car side shot.JPG Car Interior.JPG Car engine.JPG Fuel Sump.jpg Engine 4.jpg Engine 2.jpg Car Turbo.JPG Car Front shot.JPG Car side shot 2 good.JPG

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Featured Turbocharged Cars and Trucks' started by TTF/Ken, Jun 12, 2013.

bridal-shoal