Johnny Boos` 1988 Mustang Lx Notch 3.8 V6 Twin Turbo

Discussion in 'Featured Turbocharged Cars and Trucks' started by TTF/Ken, Jun 6, 2013.

By TTF/Ken on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  1. TTF/Ken Staff Member

DSCN0700.JPG
    Current Combo:

Turbo System:
    The turbo system is home made. I used a pair of IHI rhb52's from an 87-88 Turbocoupe Tbird. The headers and turbo feed pipes are made from weld el's that I bought from McMaster-Carr. I ceramic coated all the hot side parts to help control under hood temps. I made a reservoir to catch and return the oil from the turbo's to the motor, since the turbo's are mounted so low. They are still high enough that I didn't need a pump for the oil.

Engine and Management System:
    1990 SC 3.8 motor is the base for this set-up. The Bottom end is stock, with the exception of the main caps having ¼ of an inch machined off the shoulder's so I could use shorter main studs. The Supercoupe block has a lot of main cap strength, so it didn't hurt to remove the ¼ inch.

Induction and Fuel:
    Both turbo's share a common air intake. There is a divider inside the 4 inch mandrel pipe to keep the turbo's from fighting for air right at the impellor wheels. The air is pumped through a stock Tbird SC throttle body, into a 1-off liquid intercooled intake assembly. The fuel system uses a Walbro 255 intank fuel pump, stock rails and lines, and 50 lb injectors. There is a secondary fuel system that is used for methanol injection. The methanol fuel cell is in the trunk, and uses a Bosch fuel pump with stainless internals. There is a single 150 lb injector used for the alky injection, and it is controlled by the TEC3 system as a staged injector.

Ignition and Exhaust:

Ignition is Distributorless and is incorporated into the TEC3 system. Spark is delivered through Taylor wires and holders. Sparkplugs are Autolite's. The headers are 1 5/8 inside diameter, which equates to a 1¾ inch primary tube. The headers were built by myself, using another 88 stang as a jig.

Transmission and rear:

Transmission is a C4, self built, with an H servo, a transgo shift kit, and a JW 3000 stall converter. Driveshft is FRPP aluminum with a welded Lakewood driveshaft loop. The rear diff is stock ford with 3:55 gears in a rebuilt limited slip.

Front Suspension:
    The front of the car uses a Hal tube K-member and lower control arms. The front spindles are sn95 pieces as part of a 5 lug conversion. Front brakes are stock GT rotors and PBR calipers. The front struts are KYB's with a coil over conversion from D&D.

Rear Suspension:
    The rear suspension uses MAC upper and lower control arms with a stock GT rear swaybar. The Lakewood drag shocks are covered with a D&D coil-over conversion, with the lower mounting point relocated inwards. The axles are FRPP 5 lug conversion pieces, with 95 GT rear disc brakes. The mounting flange for the caliper was cut and rewelded back together on the inside of the axle flanges. This let me keep stock wheel positions in the rear. The brake lines are all custom, with a 93 Cobra Master cylinder providing the stopping pressure.

Tires and rims:
    I have 3 complete sets of wheels for this car, including 18 inch Y2K cobra r's, 2005 Factory V6 wheels, and Centerline Warrior fats and skinnies. The E.T. above is on the Warriors with 275/50/15 M/T drag radials and kuhmo front tires.

Body:
    The body is mostly stock with some subtle changes. There is a filler panel under the hood, blended into the body. The trunk key is hidden behind a flip up Ford emblem from a Crown Vic. The paint is House of Kolor, Candy Red over a sparkling silver base to make it as bright as I could get it. There are 2 different colors of Kameleon on the car. Red to Gold and Blue to Red. The flip/flop paint accents the bolt on Cobra R SVO hood from Design Concepts. The trunk is done up as well, it has an aluminum hinged spare tire cover instead of the fiber board one. The Aerospace battery mount holds an Optima battery. There is a Sony 10 disc CD changer and a Jensen amplifier, mounted to a custom holder that floats the amp over the CD changer. The left side of the trunk has a home made 2.5 gallon fuel cell for the Methanol, with a 7 gallon Liquid intercooler reservoir mounted front and center. The reservoir is also built like a cooler ( box in a box surrounded by foam) to keep it from sweating when it is full of ice water. I almost forgot, there is a small shot of nitrous to get the turbos to go from lazy to crazy in the mash of a pedal. I have the nitrous and a 2 step wired to work off the brake light switch. My 60' times are 1.5's, so it works pretty well.

Other:
    The interior uses 2002 Mustang Vert front seats. I had the rear seats matched to the color and pattern, and then had it molded around the powder coated Roll Bar. The Roll bar has removable door bars and back bar, so that it's practical to drive when I'm not racing it. The car has power everything. I used an SVO steering wheel, and they didn't come with cruise control, so I put the switches in the ashtray after repairing the ashtray lid with my own design repair kit. I had custom door panels done to match the dash and seats.

Future plans:
    A major Turbo upgrade. Current turbos are IHI's and are at their limits for power. The new turbos are TO4E 57 trims with Tial 38mm wastegates. After the new turbos are on the car, Ill be upgrading the reardiff to a trutrac 31 spline carrier, the C4 will get a hardened input shaft and a 6 pinion planet, and the fuel injectors will be stepped up to 95 lbs/hr pieces. At the time of this article, the turbo upgrade is well under way.

Background:
    I've been into turbo cars since about 1992 when I bought an SVO from the local ford dealer. I've been hooked ever since. I love to create, so fabrication is what I like the most. I build the majority of my own parts, trying to base everything on flow potential, with as little compromise as possible. This car has been in my family now for about 7 years, and was originally my son's car. I helped him get it and installed the drive train from my 1983 Mustang GT Turbo (my first attempt at a fast turbo car, that went 11.32 in street trim). I ended up putting the drivetrain back into my 83, and decided to do something different with the 88 body. The results have been good so far. Now if I could just break into the 9's with the new set-up'¦

Best time as of : November 2006
    10.91 at 123.33 mph, race weight 3565lbs.

cruise control.JPG DSCN0706.JPG headerfab.JPG liquidintercooler.JPG scan0001.jpg coilpacks.JPG complete trunk.JPG controlarms.JPG door panel.JPG header4.JPG just driving2.JPG oildrain.JPG coldairintake.JPG consol.JPG

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Featured Turbocharged Cars and Trucks' started by TTF/Ken, Jun 6, 2013.