1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

john deere hyd oil in trans

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by tommustangii, Sep 24, 2015.

1. tommustangii

I read on here where some guys switched to john deer or case hyd oil for their c4 trans so I did the same on my street car c4 with a 5000 stall it helped run cooler and shifts better my question is,
    my brother give me a 99 f350 super duty 4 wheel drive with a 7.3, about 21/2 yrs ago the trans went out had it completely rebuilt and a new converter put in, back in march the overdrive and the converter went out cost him $900.00 to get it fixed they put regular atf back in it I need some input on this should I drain all the fluid out of this thing and put hyd fluid in it, it does have a lazy reverse in it I'm not sure what kind of trans is in it
    thanks Tom

2. flyinhillbilly

I've used 4 qts in transmissions with a Dacron filter. You can't get too carried away or it will starve the pump from the fluid being too thick to pull through the filter.

3. BlownShovel

what he said - some filters have a little difficulty with the viscosity - esp cold

I run it in my th400 - add about 1 qt regular ATF just to add color so it can be seen on a dipstick easier

4. tommustangii

ok I remember now my street car has the b&m deep pan which has a dodge 929 screen filter in it

5. Boosted95

will the john deer fluid help drop trans fluid temps???

6. tommustangii

It helped mine but with a 5000 stall on the street it's hard going to a lower stall and same fluid it's hyd fluid it handles the heat better

7. Boosted95

Thats good to know i have a th400 wit a 4100rpm converter 3.08 gears and a 28inch tall tire, in the summer or alot of traffic i will see temps of 180-210

8. tommustangii

that's not a bad temp one other thing that will cool better is the factory oil or trans cooler off a ford truck they cool better than after market just go to the junk yard that's where I got mine

9. Mnlx

210 is nothing to worry about, actually want some temp. I typically don't get too worried until getting in the 240-250 for an extended period.

10. tommustangii

I have built transmissions c4 but I was told trans temps should be about what your engine temp is my problem was in the summer it was cruising at 200 if i got on it or in traffic it would go up and wouldn't come down until I sopped and set for about 20 min buy like I said my 5000 was too much and stalls build heat I didn't have that problem when I had a 302 but when I went to a 408 it stalled more besides that I'm running a pinto-mustang II converter this is my car I drive on the street it's not a trailer queen

10298892_10152331290019146_4136016999034328114_n.jpg #ad

11. Monzsta

I ran tractor oil in my T/A's 4l60e with less than stellar results. I'd try it in a hydraulic 3 speed, but electronically shifted transmissions are more finicky toward fluid viscosity.

12. tommustangii

when you run hyd fluid in transmissions you can't use the paper filter you have to use a screen type filter or remove all the paper out of the filter and put a small holed screen in it