1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Jetta TDI fuel pump.

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by furchaser, Nov 12, 2011.

1. furchaser

I have done a couple of these now and this is the first time I took a couple pictures of the process .
    Being that these pumps list out at $685.00 this can save you a pile of money by using a $70.00 pump from a 1989-1994 chevy/gmc truck...
    My day started out a tad hungover and I was pulling Huffer's 2004 out of the garage after giving it a service yesterday and it wouldn't fill the filter :bang:
    Yanked the back seat out of the way and sure enough the pump had failed .. Typical Saturday for me.. lol. I checked my Napa prolink just to show the cost of these things..
    With the parts stores all closed at noon my only choice was the local hardware / auto parts that usually has nothing you need but got lucky and they had one. This is a pretty simple job if you take your time and don't break anything.
    Anyways .. I just thought I would share because these pumps new are retarded expensive new.

This was the old thread.. https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/turbo-diesel-forum/2004-volks-jetta-tdi/

Photo0493.jpg #ad

Photo0494.jpg #ad

Photo0491.jpg #ad

Photo0495.jpg #ad

Photo0496.jpg #ad

2. furchaser

Second thing to deal with was a code for the turbocharger vane position sensor .. ( 18996 )
    Usually it is wiring rotten or chafed going to the sensor hanging off the bottom of the turbo that works like a wastegate. Sure enough I found some bad wires but unfortunately it had been to long and the sensor had rusted inside and sounded like there was gravel in it.
    The harness runs down the frame at the firewall on the right front and you will find the problem wires coming out right at the loom or at the sensor plug .. this one had both. These sensors / actuators are not available here separate and they want to sell you a complete turbo which is crazy money and way more work than I really wanted to do. I made a call to a buddy that runs a large dismantling yard and found a motor sitting on a shelf with the sensor still on but it had the plastic broken around the plug.
    After soldering the wires directly to the pins I reinstalled it and checked the operation. Works like new .. Something I should mention is when replacing or removing check to make sure there is a slight bit of tension on the rod when you bolt it back on and no slop in it ..

Photo0501.jpg #ad

Photo0502.jpg #ad

Photo0503.jpg #ad

jetta.jpg #ad

3. furchaser

Here is how these operate.
    &feature=player_embedded[/url]

4. Drac0nic

I am sorely disappointed. I would have thought you would have had the GMC (non-lift) pump stuck on there with a big ass Holset. That's more of what I was thinking anyways. If you happen to get one of those going be sure to post pics of it. Very cool on the $ saving though.

5. furchaser

Huffer was already keeping an eye on me so I wouldn't come up with any crazy ideas for this thing ... lol
    I'm quite sure if he didn't need it for almost 600 miles a week to commute to work I would have been allowed to play a bit . The end result was spending $165.00 in parts as opposed to $2630.00
    and saved a shit ton on labor pulling the turbo off.

pump (Medium).JPG #ad

turbo (Medium).JPG #ad

6. huffer

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
    maybe next time we wont stuff three cases of beer down our necks
    :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

7. furchaser

Well .. if I understand correctly the one new case holds almost as many as the other three..
    Just sounds better I guess... lmao
    Lets go with that.

8. huffer

The wive says I'm only allowed to drop it off, not be there when it gets opened, and definitely not there when its finished...lmao