1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Question for mopar guys running EFI

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by JackGTX440, Apr 4, 2012.

1. JackGTX440

this is a newb EFI question. I'm going to be running EFI on my 400 big block build. Probably Holley HP or FAST xfi. I wanted to go distributor-less and run LS coils. My question is regarding sensors. What is useable for a crank and cam position sensor? Does MSD or other ignition companies make stuff that will work? Do the EFI kits come with the sensors? Sorry if this is a dumb question...

2. FastmOp

I don't use the coil on plug sys. But do use XFI. For a cam sensor I use a mopar distributer modded by removing all but one of the relucters. And then a MSD crank trigger.

3. JackGTX440

Do you have any pictures of your setup? What are you running to provide spark?

4. furious70

There are also plug n play drop in and go dual sync dizzys available from Accel with cam and crank signals. doesn't help if you want to do dizzyless tho.

5. Alikazam

FAST makes a drop in dual sync also, but I've heard good and bad about both some of the FAST units and some of the Accel units... *shrugs* I still plan to go EFI eventually! :)

6. FastmOp

Here's a pic of the 541ci
    [​IMG]#ad

Here's the turbo junker
    [​IMG]#ad

7. JackGTX440

Thanks a lot for the pictures. Now I am contemplating using my distributor after looking at your car. I already have the same coil as you and I already have an MSD pro billet dizzy from when I was going na. Do you run on the street with that coil at all? I bought it to go with my digital 7 but never ran it on the street.

8. FastmOp

I have never ran it on the street.
    It takes a few mods to get the distributer to do what you want but it's not hard. I welded mine solid inside. Then phased the relucter and rotor button. :)

9. JackGTX440

What did you do to phase it? Can you explain a little more? Thanks!

10. FastmOp

The cam pickup needs to happen before the crank trigger. FAST tells you to set the crank trigger to 50* BTDC and the cam needs to fire 10* before that so the ECU can fire the injectors in the firing order. But the rotor needs to be centered on the lug in the cap at peek torque.

FAST has good little CD that will help you understand all the little stuff.

11. JackGTX440

That is good to know about the cd. I've never done an EFI car before! Lol. I've been drag racing for years and I feel like I'm starting over. Haha. So it sounds like all I need to do is buy the system and get a crank trigger kit. Thanks a lot for your help!

12. JackGTX440

Would you recommend the FAST system? What made you decide to go with them over others? I emailed the FAST tech line once for a question I had and they were super helpful and super fast response. I emailed the tech for BS3 six weeks ago and never heard back yet... It kinda sucks because BS3's office is ten minutes from my house :-/

13. furious70

I went with fast cuz several friends had it. I've had no issues that would have me change

14. FastmOp

I have not used BS3 or any others. I have an old FAST box on the N/A motor. And since I had a handle on there stuff went with them again on the turbo car. So really I can't say who's is better.

I will say the classic box has not seen light since I mounted it under the dash. It's good stuff.

15. JackGTX440

That is good to know these boxes are lasting with no issue.

16. furious70

If you end up not needing a cam sync (I have a Classic FAST sequential box but I'm not using a cam sync or the sequential function), the easiest thing to do is use a lean burn dizzy. Already locked, no mechanical or vac advance on them. It's what I used, and then phased it to work with the 60* head start.

17. Fury Fan

And if you're wanting a LeanBurn dizzy, they are still available at the auto parts store for $50-75, no need to scrounge around in JY looking for one.

Just make sure to look at the picture before buying it, an LB sometimes has 2 VR pickups but never has a vac advance canister. I trust RockAuto's pics better than other places...

18. TheOtherDodge

FWIW I run a classic FAST on mine with a crank trigger.

19. JackGTX440

I already have an MSD distributor from the very brief moment in time when the car was NA. I'll just lock that one and grind the reluctor.

20. furious70

you might come out ahead selling that unit though, it's worth more than the reman'ed LB unit.