1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Its under way! Finally!!!

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by HOTMOPR, Jan 21, 2011.

1. HOTMOPR

440 block bored 060, oringed, filled, studded and girdled. 4.15 stroker crank, Probe forged -30 pistons, BME aluminum rods, comp cam, Ported Mopar stage 6 aluminum heads, M1 intake, 980 holley, big but not big enough 90mm turbo. 727 auto. assembly on motor has started! Still need to figure out headers. I really dont have the patience to do them right. :D any ideas on gears to run? the cam is a 6500 rpm cam and I run 32x18.5 hoosier dots.. Car has 4:56 gears in it now. Oh this is going in my 2700 lb Cuda.. :2thumbs: any guesses on hp?
    [​IMG]#ad

2. CUUDAK

I would second guess those rods!! NO way I would use Aluminum rods in my engines. Not for street use anyway. Machinist didn't freek out with the .060 overbore on a Mopar?? Mine did with the 400. You have seen my started build, headers are gonna be a chore.. I am working on mine now. Just completed the y-pipe into the T6 flange and that was a beatch!! I am using 3" logs but having issues with the sparkplugs. That filled block may cause an issue with overheating!! I don't see that you have a girdle??? That stroker crank is gonna give you fits with the rear main seal. I am running a 2.91 gear in the 8 3/4. If I were you a would run no more than a 3.23 gear with that tall of a tire.

What is the specs on the Turbo?? A/R?
    My little S480 w/1.10 a/r should be seeing 8-850 hp @ 10 lbs of boost and see good boost at 2800rpm. Of course this is all speculation at this point but looks good on paper! Lol!

I don't know what turbo you are running but it may be in your best interests to fab a bracket. My turbo weighs around 50#s and without the bracket would surely crack and break the headers if they were to support it!

Good luck, can't wait to see what yours looks like!!! Just click on the "Additional Options" to load pics!!

3. HOTMOPR

The rods are fine, the 060 is fine, the stroker is fine, there is a girdle read again, the filled block is only filled up to the freeze plugs been there done all that with nitrous stuff and turbos are so much easier on components. Show me a b/rb that doesnt have a leaky rear main! Lol yes bracket will be built. Been doin research for quite awhile. My turbo weighs 65 lbs its big. Ar of 1.36 on the exhaust. Its only a part time streeter, mostly drag but a occasional cruise/stomp the locals.

4. CUUDAK

:doh: speed reading and missed "studded & girdle"..

Rope seals cut on a 45!! None of my Bigblocks leak!!

Curious, why such a large a/r? You using the valve under the exhaust housing?? Boost may be way late!!

5. HOTMOPR

The housing is what was recommended for my setup. Should work fine with my converter. Yep on the rope..

6. turboplymouth

What turbo specifically? What rear do you have? I'd do a 3.91 with that tall of a tire. maybe a 3.55 since you're so light. Cam specs?

7. HOTMOPR

garrett tv8101 1.36 ar exhaust side. The rear is a spooled and braced 8 3/4. the cam is custom comp grind.
    DURATION @ .050 INTAKE 251
    DURATION @ .050 EXHAUST 264
    VALVE LIFT INTAKE .556
    VALVE LIFT EXHAUST .567
    LOBE SEPARATION 114.0

8. CUUDAK

Man,
    thats alot of duration @ .050... That should be closer to 220-230 @ .050 at the most.

9. HOTMOPR

Is that all your gonna do is diss my shit? Lets line em up after were done!

10. patl

Nice looking ride. Go for it.. :2thumbs:

11. CUUDAK

Touchy fukr aren't you! :ahah:
    Its just 2 cents!! Take it or Throw it!! I really don't care one way or the other! You should have expected some sort of questioning. You gave as little info as possible and your wanting Answers! :huh:

Racecar against a Streetcar??
    If you are willing to travel here to South Texas I would surely drag that azz!! If not with my Fish my Old Bird would gladly take care of your Sushi!! :chacha:

12. CW25

You need to define the use of the car for us. The RPM range of the motor with a HP goal. You have a 490ish cube motor that needs to be fed. Any idea how much those heads flow? They look decent... You need something on the big side of the exhaust for a single. If you still want to turn 6500+ and boost it then it will need a large turbo. Probably at least in the 91mm range unless you want to turn it at a less RPM and make less than 1K type power.

13. HOTMOPR

I aint touchy at all. Youve done nothing but question my setup. It will work. It is licensed and 100% sreet legal. I put about 4000 miles a year on it. And that was a big compression nitrous motor.

14. HOTMOPR

would like to keep it 6500 -6800 max. Yeah thats why I went big on the exhaust side with the 1.36ar.I have no idea what the heads flow but they have had quite a bit of work. The car is 80% strip. Shooting for 850 on pump gas.

15. CUUDAK

Now that thats clear! :doh:

Not one time did I say it wouldn't work.
    Looks like there are several others asking questions as well! You want a specific answer you will be asked many questions. I wasn't damning your build, just asking why you chose certain parts. I have researched turbos for a couple of years and have read and been told a huge amount of bullshit yet have learned quite a bit. I have been around a handful of turbo cars that are extremely fast! My old Ford runs mid 8 second 1/4's naturally aspirated with no power adder. I am no novice to racing by no means! Most things that I question would only be in reference to my experiences.

I'm done here! Peace!

16. wantabe

cams closer @ his specs than yours....

17. turboplymouth

Thats what I was going to say. This isn't a 302 with a 66mm.
    I think the cam would be better with less ex. duration, maybe even straight across at 250 deg.

18. CUUDAK

This is mine,
    Specs: Intake Exhaust
    Lobe Lift .360 .353
    Rocker ratio 1.5 1.5
    Valve Lift .540 .530
    Adv Dur 287 303
    [email protected] 240 252

This is your direct quote TurboPlymouth,
    "What was the cam used in? NA motor w/ 4.10's? Its a little big, but will work." https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144087.100

Hmmm!
    So,
    His cam is just right at more duration than mine???

All I know is Scott Brown advised me that the cam a have is a "GOOD" fit for what I am doing and that is really all that matters. He specializes in custom ground cams for Mopars. He did say that when I really want to go fast is to give him a call and he will grind a cam with "Less" Duration and "More" lobe seperation!!

19. turboplymouth

Yours has 90 less cubic inches, has 906 heads and is a "street car" as you say. His build looks more race oriented than yours. And I didn't say it was just right, those are your words. This is what I said: "I think the cam would be better with less ex. duration, maybe even straight across at 250 deg."

20. turboplymouth

Your using a 240-250 whatever cam on a 400, and recommend 220 dur for his 490" ???