1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

It's time to change EFI, need advice.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by door750, Nov 1, 2019.

1. door750

My holley commander 950 unit it's old, and the flinstones era ignition distributor is ready for retirement.

this is my engine specs:
    • Dart Little "M" 4 bolt block
    • 383 Eagle forged 4340 steel stroker crank with two 3/16" keyways
    • Eagle H-beam Rods 5.7"
    • JE forged 23° extreme duty inverted dome pistons giving 7.76:1 compression ratio
    • ATI Supercharger Damper with two 3/16" keyways
    • Comp Cams Nitrous Hydraulic Roller Cam CS NX288HR-13
    • Comp Cams Hi-Tech Stainless Roller Rockers 1.5 ratio
    • Comp Cams push rods
    • Comp Cams Roller Timing Chain Set
    • Comp Cams Billet 3 Part Timing Cover
    • Pro Topline 23° Aluminium Lightening Heads 228cc Inlet Runners with 64cc chambers
    • Fel Pro 1034 Head Gaskets
    • ARP Head Studs
    • ARP Stainless 12 point bolts
    • Manley Valves 2.08" Inlet 1.6" Exhaust (Spring Height 1.8")
    • Comp Cams Valve Springs, Retainers, Seats and 10° Valve locks
    • MSD Distributor 8366
    • MSD Digital-6 Plus Ignition control
    • MSD HVC coil
    • ACCEL knock contol linked to Holley ECU
    • Holley Commander 950 MPFI System 65lb/hr Injectors With Wide Band Oxygen Sensor
    • Holley Auxiliary Injector Driver Unit (Low Impedance Injectors)
    • Aeromotive PSC (Pump Speed Controller)
    • Aeromotive A1000 EFI Fuel Pump (High Pressure)
    • Holley HP125 Gerotor High Output Billet Fuel Pump x 2 (Low Pressure)
    • Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator #13101
    • ProCharger D-1SC Supercharger with 12 Rib Drive
    I know it's not an LS3 but I would like to update my fossil.
    Someone with an old-fashioned but full of charisma engine like mine has been through from: holley commander 950 to another holley or another recent EFI.

I would like to keep as many parts as possible of the Commander 950.
    I dream to fit 8 indipendent coil (coil near plug).
    What about Megasquirt?

P.S. the car is rear engine, she's an Ultima Can Am, 650 hp.

Kind regards from Italy.

turbofreek likes this.
  2. fastspec2

I'd probably just go dominator. I think it makes the most sense given your goals.

351w likes this.
  3. Bad Medicine Racing

You will need to update to a crank trigger for the ECU and a dual sync distributor. LS coils are fairly cheap, plentiful, and reliable. The Dominator ECU is by far the most flexible, but the HP might be just fine for you depending on what all you want to control with it.

I do not recommend megasquirt to anyone. The software is not at all user friendly and that probably deters me from it more than anything.

nxcoupe, Goodmostly and 351w like this.
  4. turbofreek

holley dominator ecu recommended as well. really can expand a lot of control to your car with individual sensor inputs/outputs. if you want a shock control system for yaw etc... it can do it if you know how to set it up to.

5. Disney Lincoln

rdakota340 and turbofreek like this.
  6. Goodmostly

Mega Squirt is in litigation and has been, long story. I admire the Edelbrock Pro Flow, or the "X" series. I like the retro look, there proven power. but probably not compatible with what you have, therefore the Holly system is probably better. Also looking at your specs, your compression ratio is more like 8.8/1 running 64cc chambers, .o5 head gasket, and -28 dish. I think this a a really cool setup, and lots of power. How many pounds boost? Building a similar sized motor, BW475 1.26? approx AR, hope my hp numbers are close to yours. Pics?

7. nxcoupe

Holley terminator x universal kit. Or get a dominator or hp kit. Really just depends on how many inputs and outputs you want over and above the basics needed to make the engine run.

8. turbofreek

if you are going holley and want lots of inputs. get a dominator. tou can get several more inputs if usimg the prodash but not outputs. this isnwhat i did since i have the hp ecu. for shock sensors and others for dataloging in the ecu logs

9. Briansshop

Agree with the freek,if going Holley,just pop for the Dominator. I have the HP and am constantly limited by the 4 IO,sucks!

10. turbofreek

i switched dashes to the 6.85 prodash. it allows 13 more i/o and will overlay off the ecu datalogs as well. this is allowing me to read shock sensors etc..
    you may want to look into that as a 2ndary option. i already the 7in dash and sold it for funding the prodash.

Resized_20200110_145925.jpg #ad

rdakota340 and Disney Lincoln like this.
  11. F4K

Holley and Haltech are stand-out enthusiast level units

megasquirt I won't recommend for anything
    Accel is great for Japanese engines I've noticed but have not tuned an accel on any modern V8 yet

12. Bill Chase

Personally I would ask myself what a new setup would have to have and make a list of must haves, needs present and future. Then go from there. Seen lots of guys spend money on overly complex stuff that doesn't make them faster or more reliable.

So find the system that fits your needs and allows room for growth if it is in the cards.. then weigh your options of what is available.. the commander might be old, but it is a capable system. Sounds like you want full sequential and coil near plug. Some of the terminator x systems can do that, not sure how many inputs outputs extra they have.

13. TurboII

That thing is going to be a turd out of boost. Why so low on the CR?? I don't do any gas builds below 9.5CR on pump 93 / E85 and 11.0 minimum for methanol. If.you are interested in Haltech(I'm a dealer) shoot me a email and I'll get you some pricing.

Disney Lincoln likes this.