1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Its time for a new converter(I think) suggestions

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by knkfiend, May 12, 2007.

1. knkfiend

put a fuel system on the car and took it to the dyno. the car previously made 425 whp through an AOD at 9 lbs when it was cold out. this time it made 405 at 9 lbs with new bigger axles and diff on a humid day. not so bad i said. so we crank the boost up to 11-12 and it makes right on 450 whp. ok, lets keep going. 15 lbs....449 whp. 17lbs...450whp. oh boy. well this weekend was pinks all out at maple grove, so i went out. boost was set at right around 12 lbs, and the car went 11.3 at 123mph. not bad, but it went 11.5 at 121 last year running out of gear. this pass had a 1.97 60' footbraking it. next pass i decided to use the transbrake alittle and the car responded well(even though i let off because the trans brake is scary the first time) with a 1.699 60' and a 11.0 at 124. meh, not bad. my 3rd pass i was ready for the transbrake and the car went a 1.57 60'. Awesome! but the car only went 11.1 at 120. according to my calculations, my 4/10s in the 60' should equate to ~8/10s in the 1/4, but it only netted me 2 10ths.

would this be the converter? i did change rear gears from a 355 to a 308.

also, what converters do you recomend? I have heard nothing but good things about PTC and ultimate converters.

2. knkfiend

top top, id like to call a converter company this week so i can get it back on the dyno and to the track

3. Racer99

4. SlowJoe

5. knkfiend

is this the problem you guys think it definately seems to be?

6. steve beckley

Why did you put 308? in your car if you have a aod? I see that the 355 where hitting the limiter but could you have just raised it a little instead? I set my digital 6 to 6400 at the track with my 327 rear and it will clear ok but at 6200 it just touches the limiter through the end . I feel my convertor needs to be tightened also since it only traps 129 at 10.3 I feel it lays on the big end doesn't pull like my friends 5spd turbo car does in 4th. Also i "heard" not positive if it's true that 3.27 rear gear is about the limit for a auto car and t brake and that 3.55 and up is much safer/reliable gear for the trans. That it is harder to make under 3.55's work with the converter correctly. Maybe someone with more knowledge will jump in. I'm just going to ask Lenny at Ultimate Converter what rear gear I should run when I bring the converter back for restall and see what he says?l

7. knkfiend

well the gears were in a rear and i got it for nothing, so i went with it. the stock limiter is at 6250 and i would bang the crap out of that with the 355s. i also planned on turning the boost up and calculated at 10% slip the car should go 130ish with the 327s at the stock limiter and 140ish with the 308s. i wanted to keep the rpms down also since this is a stock block setup.

8. SlowJoe

it could be slipping on the top end if your hitting the limiter. did you try the tractor fluid to get the verter a little tighter?

9. knkfiend

yep just filled it up with hy gaurd joe. the converter in there is an edge racing converter, so maybe that is what it is. last night i hit the limiter(6100 chip) at 130 in 3rd with 308s. seems like a good bit of slip

10. SlowJoe

11. SlowJoe

17.9% quite alot shane H says 7-9 is good.

12. knkfiend

yeah so i guess it really is time. what does a ptc converter run price wise? what am i asking for when i call?

13. SlowJoe

probaly gonna be a 10 inch gonna run round 350-375 mine came with a 102 stator which adds like 25.00 more bucks total out the door was 440.00 for the verter shipped. they might be able to just tighten your probaly like 150 tell them you want just the top end tightened that the low end is fine.

14. knkfiend

well ptc called me back, and i also talked to edge. edge said they could do it, ptc also said they would do it with my edge converter. the guy from ptc said a converter is pretty much a converter and he can restall/tighten mine. should i do this or just get a new one and sell the old?

15. SlowJoe

up to you if you like it or not to tighten the top end will be cheaper then buying a new one.