1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

It's an Oldsmobile and yes it's turbo!!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by skalor, Nov 15, 2007.

1. skalor

I've lurked on this board for a while and figured if anyone can appreciate what I've done it's probably some of the people here. I started with an '89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera International coupe since it's relatively light and will easily accept an L67 swap. This car was originally equipped with a 3300, which was a destroked version of the 3800. I reused the factory 3300 mounts for the L67 so mounting the engine wasn't a problem. I did have to put together my own axles though. Anyways, after rewiring almost the entire engine bay I had an L67 motived Cutlass Ciera. I had a few mods like a 4" intake, 3.4" supercharger pulley, ported exhaust manifolds, and a full 3" exhaust. The car ran great and I managed a best of a 13.7 @ 102 with a 2.2 60'. Here are a couple pictures and a video of it while it was supercharged.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3fcde1df-2b9b-40c4-bd0a-98840126ea4b.htm

As much as I liked the supercharger I knew from the very beginning that this car would be turbo eventually. I had already helped my brother put a turbo setup on his L36 powered '92 S-10 and it worked out great. I ended up using a Turbonetics 60-1 with a P-trim wheel in a .68 A/R turbine housing and a Tial 38mm wastegate to bypass the exhaust gases. The intercooler is an Ebay special and required no cutting to mount it or run the piping. I bough a used Stattama upper intake manifold to replace the supercharger and reused the stock L67 throttle body and MAF setup. I modified the rear manifold to eliminate the factory outlet and used a stock front manifold. I made my own cross-over pipe and then the downpipe to mate with my 3" exhaust. It took me ~2 months from start to finish to complete the turbo setup. I've run the car at 7 psi at that track and ran a 13.4 @ 105 with a 2.2 60'. After getting my hands on some larger injectors from a supercharged SVT Cobra I was able to turn the boost up. At 14 psi I dynoed 376 whp and 371 wtq on a dynojet, but I had trouble with it downshifting so I don't think the peak torque is correct. Here's a picture of the turbo setup and a speedo video when I was still at 7 psi. There's also a link for a gallery that has misc. pictures from the orginal swap and the turbo conversion. :D

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9396ef26-0ea6-4900-8c93-998d001ee4e3.htm

http://www.gmv6.org/gallery/l67_ciera

2. wgsr-1

That is very cool. Definitaly a dare to be different build.

3. Kellyo77

Good job man. I dig different! Keep this updated.

4. Gen1SVE

Clean Work! Bad ass little sleeper. :2thumbs:

5. usnlightning

Imagine getting your ass handed to you by that little FWD terror! A serious question though, how is the GM transaxle holding up to that kind of power? I was under the impression that was the weak link in the supercharged FWD setups.

6. rdakota340

thats cool as heck!!!

7. skalor

It's been holding up fine so far. I put a shift kit in it and altered the shift tables to try and minimize shift times without making them overly harsh. On a stock 4T65E the main problem with high horsepower cars is breaking the input shaft or snapping the chain. Of course there are aftermarket input shafts and chains that can take the power, but they aren't cheap. I'm definitely not looking forward to getting a performance build. :spend:

8. nuckifuts

very cool swap. diggin the sig too :2thumbs:

9. turbo23turbo

That has to be the coolest turbo Car I have seen this year :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
    reminds me of a turbo Sunfire I helped work on last year.

P.s. "this coming from a guy with a 700+ hp stang" :D

10. skalor

Thanks for all the compliments!! I'm going to try to make it to the track tomorrow to see what it runs on 14 psi. I'm only running street tires though so I'm not expecting great times. The last time I went I did manage a couple 2.0 60's as the night went on but I spun at the top of first on those runs so they weren't my best times.

11. DIL

Nice build.Any details on what you have for a computer-tuner?

12. skalor

I'm using HP Tuners and a LC-1 WB02. Currently I'm running ~11.8:1 at WOT with 16* of timing. I had to use an AFC to scale back my MAF because my PCM can only read to 11,500 Hz.

13. turbostang

For those of us not in the know, what is the engine originally out of?

14. skalor

It came out of a '99 Buick Regal GS. It's the same platform as a Grand Prix GTP, Monte Carlo SS, and Impala SS. The 3800s are a pretty stout engine and they don't even have an forged internals.

15. turbostang

Thank you, that is exactly what I was wondering. Killer ride, man what a sleeper!

16. hotrod

What a sleeper!!!

17. DaOnE51T

Nice build... :eek:

18. Nestromaro

Man... I would love to castrate some LS1s with that car.

19. skalor

I haven't even had a run in with an LS1 since it's been turbo. I once had a guy in a 2nd Camaro laugh at me though. :rofl:

20. Nestromaro

Ignorance is bliss.