1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

lt1 camshaft advancing for stall speed

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by slammed98gmc, Feb 14, 2010.

1. slammed98gmc

I was told by Lenny at UCC that I need to advance my camshaft some due to the converter tightening that he did. He says im going to lose a little stall speed and I was right at the limit previously. I had a hard timing getting it up on the converter and 2 step to make boost for launching. I have a cloyes billet timing chain set with the 9 way adjustable crank gear when means that I can adjust the cam timing 1, 2, 3,or 4 degrees. The cam is a degreed at 110 center line like the cam card recommended. My question is how far to go with the advance on it. I have .100 piston to valve clearance now and I was told that will change aprox .02 for every 2 degrees of advance. I have have to worry about messing with the opti since that is gone. Im running a msd dual synch distributor.

IMG_2312.jpg #ad

2. slammed98gmc

CRICKETS! :doh:

3. slammed98gmc

wow, I cant believe that no one has any input on this.

4. MONTEGOD7SS

How hard is it to change? I would go probably start with 2 since I doubt 1 would do enough to notice. I think this is just going to need to be tested first to see if it's even needed.

5. slammed98gmc

its a weekends worth of work, oil pan, water pump and timing cover have to come off. Not so easily done in an s10

6. MONTEGOD7SS

Then I wouldn't bother just yet. The converter and timing set are on completely different ends so until you know your spool has been hurt by the new converter I wouldn't touch it.

7. slammed98gmc

I talked to a few people on the this and told me to go ahead and advance it as far as I can go with it. they told me that it is going to move the torque and power down and make the whole setup work better. I pulled the head off of it today and advanced the cam 4 degrees and checked my clearances. I still have right at .095 clearance so im all good there. Only problem is that I found my #1 lifter and the lifter bore is galled up. So I stripped the motor down today, going to take it down to the machine shop and have a bronze bushing installed in it.

8. MONTEGOD7SS

Wow, that didn't turn out so well. Hey, at least you didn't have to pull the rearend this week, lol.

9. slammed98gmc

well that is what I was supposed to be doing today instead of tearing the motor all the way down. I need to pull the axles out of it so I can order some moser axles and c clip eliminators. Ive been running on the stock axles for alot of years and figured its about time to do it right so that I dont have to worry about breaking one all the time. The old 8.5 has treated me well, Im hoping that I can get some more years out of it. Moser seems to think it will hold up .

I was just glad that I found it before something really bad happened!

10. MONTEGOD7SS

You really are doing an off-season tear down. Hopefully the lifter bores can be fixed quickly and cheaply.

11. slammed98gmc

$100 to put the block in a cnc machine, bore the lifter bore out and install a bronze liner. I called Dennis Wells racing and Reher Morrison racing and both charge about the same. Dennis Wells is closer so he won.

Yeah, I try and get all my shit done in the winter so I can race all season and mess around fixing crap during the year.