1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Tips for driving in highway

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Zenteno0394, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Zenteno0394

Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and new to having a turbo car, so I have some questions on how to drive it on freeways

So, where I live there are many long uphill roads (60km -100km//45 min - 2 hr), and my question is, how should I drive in this scenario? I mean, is it good and safe (for the turbo) driving the car in its turbo operation range?(my car has it between 3k-6.5k rpm)
    I guess its better driving it below turbo operation, but, could I safely drive the whole long uphill in the early turbo operation (like 3k-3.5k rpm)? or should drive it below turbo operation and just let the turbo operates when overtaking

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  2. Zenteno0394

My main question is, for how long is it safe to drive the car in its early turbo operation (the 3k-3.5k rpm)

3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

You haven't told us anything about the car and turbo setup. :(

4. MazdaCarnage

I will assume based on rpm this is not a diesel motor.
    Unless the motor is really small and the car is heavy it's pretty hard to be on boost without accelerating, perhaps in a hill?
    A turbo is always spinning, even at idle, under boost it's just spinning faster.
    As long as coolant and oil temps stay within operating range the turbo should be "safe".
    A diesel transport truck with a heavy load will be on boost for up to 16hours a day without issues.
    So you don't have to drive the car really slowly and worry about boost coming on, the turbo is there to fill in for larger engine displacement * and it wouldn't be a good substitute if you had to worry about using it.

Boost is not only RPM dependent, it is also throttle position dependent, so an engine can run in the boost rpm range without making boost under light throttle, the smaller the turbo and turbine a/r the smaller this window is.

Fuel mileage will be the main difference, you will be burning more gas cruising at low boost than you would off boost.

No matter how fuel efficient an engine is, lower rpm always require less fuel, at 3000rpm the injectors will "fire" twice as often as 1500rpm and the engine will consume twice the fuel.

* Referring to modern factory turbo vehicle, most twisted members :friendlywink: on this forum start with large displacement motors, increase the engines performance beyond factory then add boost.

Zenteno0394 likes this.
  5. Zenteno0394

Ohh sorry, it's a Nissan sunny b11 turbo (small car), it has a 1.6 L SOHC engine with 93 hp (that's what I've found on web), the turbo is a Garret/airesearch m10 with 10 psi, the only remarkable things are that it doesn't have an intercooler, because of factory design.

6. Zenteno0394

I put hill scenario because I just went on a short trip an that was the moment where I saw the turbo runing on boost for more time, and that was new to me, cause in city that really doesn't happen, and cause to go on vacation from my city to anywhere I must drive through hill roadways.

But okok, that was my big main worry, if turbo could damage by having it on boost for a long period of time, but looking at what you said with trucks, I guess I'll have no problem by having it on light boost for 30min-1hr, wouldn't I?

7. MazdaCarnage

No you won't have any problems.
    It is good practice with a turbo charged engine to let the car idle from 30seconds to 1 minute before turning the engine off after boosting for any amount of time.
    This allows the turbo and motor to cool down and prevents motor oil from baking in the turbo.
    Turbo timers can be installed to do this automatically when the engine is turned off.
    Some newer cars have controls that run the cooling fan and circulate coolant when the car is shut off.

Because the car has no intercooler, perhaps water injection might be perfect for the engine.
    A simple system that injects small amounts of distilled water when under boost. The water caries away heat as it evaporates lowering charge air temps and reducing chances of detonation, some say water has infinite octane rating because it cant be ignited and that running water injection increases fuel's octane rating. I would say the cooler mixture of fuel and air in the cylinder helps keep the cylinder temps lower and reduces the chances of auto igniting the charge with heat and pressure. Because cooler air takes less space more can be forced into the cylinder and the car makes a bit more power with less risk for the low cost of distilled water. It is also said that water injection reduces carbon deposits in the engine.

Zenteno0394 likes this.