1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Not making boost... Need Ideas...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by TT_05_Stang, Jul 27, 2009.

1. TT_05_Stang

Going to try and keep this short and sweet...

So last year the car was tuned to the numbers below, and I shattered an oil pump. I freshened the motor, and installed new MMR cams with lockouts, and MMR heads. Well I have the first run of 05+ mustangs, and they didnt put a Left and a Right timing mark on the cam gears. Dumb me installed it on the arrows. Well it started, however it sounded like it was missing on 2 cyl. I took it in to figure out what was the issue, and to get tuned. I had changed the entire mass aire tube, and got rid of the diable mafia, so I just chalked it up to a really rich bad tune.

Well they said it sounded hurt, but they did a compression test and it came back 150 accross the board. Then they said they were going to take the valve covers off. Well they found a follower had kicked off. They fix the follower and put the driver side cam gear on the correct mark.

Now to where we are today... they say it wont make boost. They say they think it has a bent valves. This doesnt make sense to me since the compression test BEFORE they found the follower off, and the cam out of timing, came back 150 on all 8.

So here is my question... I know a bent valve or a couple bent valves would cause it to not make a lot of boost, however shouldnt it make SOME boost? Secondly if its bent that many valves to not make boost, wuoldnt it not idle or run? It starts up on the first crank and idles fine. Intake piping has been checked and all boost controls, and vacuum lines...

First off the shop was just schedlued to tune the car, so they are getting into my mess that I most likely caused, so in no way am I blaming or bashing the shop. I am just asking for some ideas that we might have not thought of.

2. one eyed willy

so what does the gauge do?

3. Turbo_Baer

the lines on the waste gate arent reversed are they ? open BOV ?

4. TT_05_Stang

They said they have triple checked the WG and BOV lines. I am at a loss... Guage doesnt do anything nor does the Dyno boost guage

5. TeeJay

5-speed? Auto? Check the turbos...

6. TT_05_Stang

They checked the turbos, and said they spin freely and are fine. 5 speed

7. TeeJay

Hmm, well you can't be blowing through the convertor with a 5-speed so now I'd have to say pull the heads and have them checked.