1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Needs Advice, Brand new

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by OztinCloud, Jul 14, 2015.

1. OztinCloud

I'm the owner of a Base 4dr 2005 Chevy Cobalt and i'm shopping for a DIY turbocharger kit. That i can hopefully install myself without much trouble. With me having little to no knowledge about different types of turbos and would appreciate someone giving me some advice on what to look for and the steps to go through, although i could use youtube as a great tutorial.

The current ebay kit i was looking at, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C...tec-/271107208689?hash=item3f1f3fb5f1&vxp=mtr

for $599? That can't be a complete kit can it? Likely it seems things that are way too good to be true likely are. My hope is someone can give me the best suggestion for a budget of around $1,500. Of course i believe this will never be as simple as me having built my computer but im hoping to learn as i go, hopefully not too much room for error as i don't want my engine exploding in my face, of course.

Any amount of help or advice is appreciated!

2. turbomalibuwagon

That kit will require a lot of custom fitment it's pretty basic but it has a header and turbo . There are 2 guys local with ss cobalt turbo swap both are ok quick like from a roll they hang with c6 vetts they both use a Evo base after market turbo one is a 16g and the other is a 20g I think they are completely diy built tho . Thats about all I can offer you.

3. Matt Cramer

I'd raid the Cobalt SS parts bin over a Chinese tubular manifold of unknown (and likely abysmal) quality.