1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can I add turbo to mitsubishi 4g93d engine?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by exking, Jul 6, 2015.

1. exking

Hi everybody
    I have a JAC J5 AT(a chinese company which used mitsubishi engine & transmission), it has a 1.8 4g93d DOHC MPI engine and F4A4B automatic transmission.
    I know that mitsubishi also produced turbo variants of this engine with TD04 turbocharger.
    I want to know is it possible that I buy this kind of turbocharger or any other kind and install it on this engine?

2. slimbobaggins

Virtually any engine will withstand some level of forced induction. If you do your reseach, are realistic about your goals, and can weld, you can turbocharge anything.

If they made a turbo version of that motor in your car (or a similar chassis) you might be able to use factory parts to bolt it all up. You still have to deal with engine management, and fuel system.

3. exking

So its not like I buy a spare turbo charge for that engine and I install it?
    It seems more complicated than I thought, is it so?

4. slimbobaggins

In a simple answer, yes. Much more complicated.

The turbo is just a turbine and compressor, with some adapter flanges. The turbine gets inserted inline with your exhaust piping, and the compressor inline with your intake, to oversimplify things. You either need to buy off the shelf stuff to do that, or make your own.

Adding a turbo typically involves extensive modifications to your fuel and engine management system as well.

I suggest you read everything on here that you can, as well as get some books to read on turbocharging. Sounds like you have a lot of research to do still.