1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Is there such a thing as a set it and forget it turbo system?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 66linc, Jul 24, 2015.

1. 66linc

I have a 66 suicide door Lincoln with a 462 motor and was looking to add some HP. This is a pretty one off motor so not any after market parts for it so was looking into doing a remote turbo/twin turbos in the back as there is not much space under the hood. I have watched a bunch of videos and read threads on here but have some general questions. What all would I need to change over from my stock application? Fuel pump, carb? Also would I need an intercooler since I'm doing it remote and low boost? From what I understand I can run up to 10psi with out to many drastic modifications. My biggest concern is tuning and driveability as this is a 5500lb car and is never going to be a speed demon and want something I can drive daily with out having to make any adjustments.

What advice do you guys have for me?

2. M&M Turbochargers

3. 66linc

Thanks for the response. Would there need to be an ECU? Since its an old car there is no computer to tie it into. Would it be a way to manually adjust the boost? Also as I'm new to turbos what would be considered a conservative psi that an intercooler would not be needed?

4. turbomalibuwagon

You wouldn't need an ecu for carb . You would want a msd # 6530 ignition box and map sensor to control your timing in boost. Also you have to up grade fuel pump and run a bypass regulator with boost referenced port so as boost rises your fuel pressure will rise with it . I would suggest that you read some build threads and see what people are doing then it will make more sense what you are looking at having to modify to make it work. Then decide if you are ok with doing said mods to your rather rare car. With a carb and good tuning you can easily get 15 lbs boost with out intercooler but on this I'd suggest keep under 8 psi till you see how it goes on pump gas.

5. Mnlx

My 2 cents on set it and forget it with good driveability.... A carb would be out for me, I have done the blow thru thing, and it works great for certain applications, but efi, even simple efi such as Megasquirt gives you much better set it and forget it... cold starts, fast idle, closed loop fuel trim, and the Ms itself can be purchased for about the same cash as the 6530.

6. Bruiser2008

When you say you can buy Megasquirt for the same price are you adding in injectors and fuel rails and what ever else might be needed I'm doing a little high jacking here but in the same boat with my first turb build.

7. Mnlx

No, just the MS vs the 6530. The efi setup is probably a bit more, but many of the needed parts are about the same (pump, lines, regulator), and after building a blow thru setup for myself, it wasn't nearly as cheap as I had initially thought. I sold my carb, intake, and ign box, bought a MS2 kit, harness, injectors, and a used intake. I had efi with much better ign, and fuel control for about $200 more than I had in my blow thru setup.... and was able to data log, and auto tune.

8. blueoval1955

the 462 M.E.L. (stands for Lincoln Edsel Mercury) engines are fairly hi compression, i believe around 10:1. they are the Ford version of the GM 348/409 with the block surface 10 degree's off from the cylinder. the cylinder heads have no combustion chamber, they look like a diesel head. expensive engine to rebuild with no performance parts, to speak, of available. i would be very careful/cautious with boost/timing. or swap in a 385 series and be leaps and bounds ahead of the M.E.L. engine!

9. flyinhillbilly

How much is a FI intake for a 462?

10. Mnlx

Probably not cheap, if one even exists, but there's no reason throttle body injection wouldn't work for his goals, or maybe he's a good fabricator... Efi is going to cost more, no doubt there, but you can't compare a carb with no cold start enrichment to the oem type driveability that can be had with even the basic MS, and I thought that was the op's question. Just my opinion though.

11. turbomalibuwagon

They (edilbrock) make/made aluminum intake for them . Offy made 3 duce for them and 2 fours for them as well. No efi stuff but aluminum intake would be a good option for modification for mpfi . I've seen a mechanical fuelie set up on one at a swap meet once bur not the easiest thing to turbo in to 8 runners.