1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Is there a Quiet reliable fuel pump that can support 1000 or more rwhp?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by FastDriver, Jul 2, 2006.

1. FastDriver

Subject says it all.

My engine guy wants me to go with the Weldon pump, but everything I've read about it says it's irritatingly loud. I don't want that, but I'd prefer an annoying pump to one that kills my motor for going too lean.

Chris

2. chris123

For what its worth i'm running twin walbro 392's and with a conservative 93 octane tune and 14psi we made 700rwhp! The pumps are quiet cheap and reliable! See the archive section or faq's for more info on this system.

3. gryphon68

Go with a Walbro for idle/part throttle cruise, and put the second bigger/louder pump on a boost activated switch

4. Enginerd

:dito:

I'm going to add a boost-a-pump this year for the hell of it.

Rob

5. NIL8GM

Same here........Twin walbro's with a boost-a-pump. Should easy support 1000hp. I think my system is limited by the -8 feed line.

6. white95v6

well i use twin walbro GSL 392s they are awsome.

but at the shop we have a car with a Big weldon. and its quiet as a mouse. i think weldon has improved there pumps alot in the past yr or so.

7. gofastmerc

Is anyone else amazed by this question? 10 years ago if you could make 1000hp, you didn't give a dam about how loud the fuel pump was. Mainly because you couldn't hear it over the engine.

How far we have come...

8. FastDriver

Sorry, old timer. 10 years ago, I was till popping zits and was worried about getting ready for high school :)... j/k

Weldon's new pumps are quiet?.... I'll be damned. I guess I'm going to give them a call.

Chris

9. gofastmerc

Ten years ago I was 23, five out of high school, but I don't really think of myself as old. :bah:

10. Snipe656

I do not understand why people are so against taking this method. We have been doing it for over 10 years with Bosch pumps on a lot of different cars and quite a few of them made 1000 or more rwhp.

11. TrendSetter

its not high dollar so it must not work too well

12. turbostang

Interesting for sure, did anyone ever see the max they will support? I wonder how they act with 16V? Last time my car ran I had 2 A1000's and installed them both, it solved my problems at the time but I am not sure I want to use them unless i Have to...

13. Snipe656

Hell if you are buying the Bosch branded pumps it is not really cheap unless you do some serious shopping.

What I have seen people do is when they outgrow the two pump setup they just add a third. But that is usually a good bit over 1000 hp

14. Enginerd

Here's some info from Don Bailey:

"I have a little experience with the dual walbro setup. I have a customer who has a turbo 98 Cobra with a single 76mm GTS and an air to air intercooler. The car is 100% a street car. He has a FAST bank-to-bank system with 83 lb/hr injectors. Originally the car had a dual Walbro set-up. We ran out of fuel pump somewhere around 820 RWHP. As you can see it went lean at about 6000 RPM. The point to all this is that you can make approx 1000 HP at the crank with two of those pumps. This was 12v NOT a 16v setup. In a naturally aspirated combo you could make more. The pump are fine as in tank installations and VERY quiet. BTW we switched to a big Weldon and pick up 80 HP."

15. Snipe656

Sorry, I missed this earlier. Back then most of us did not have dynos to get exact figures and I have long forgotten ETs, none of them do I recall being 16V cars. One of them though he did max out his injectors, he was pushing 50lbs way past their range with some huge pressures and making I think it was shy of 1000rwhp. His pressures were dropping though so his solution since could not swap injectors was to add a third Bosch pump and this actually lasted with him well into the whatever rwhp he got pushing a pair of T66s to their limits. Now with the T66s he had finally swapped to bigger injectors.

The Walbaros are probably good for what was just stated and depending on which Bosches you probably end up with pumps that support more.

16. turbostang

17. Snipe656

Do a search on here and that car they did the E85 testing on, it had three Walbro pumps on it, that was making well over the 1000 mark.