1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Is the MSD 6 BTM reliable for pulling timing?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Blown347hatch, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Blown347hatch

I have a 6AL, that I was going to swap out for a 6 BTM when the carburetor set-up is finished.

I heard from a couple of people that the reliability on the BTM pulling the correct amount of timing is inconsistent.

Looking for opinions/experiences before I buy one.

2. 427notch

I have heard that as well. Some one once told me that you can test them with a vacume brake bleeder. If you get one I would diffenetly test it.

3. coupe 88

4. Injected65

I have tested a few of them in days past. Of the ones I tested all of them would tend to pull between 1/2 and 1 degree of timing just plugging them in. When vacuum was applied they tended to pull more timing than they should (when compared to the setting on the dial). I would suggest looking into the 8977 mentioned above or buy a digital box with the boost functions built in before I would use a BTM, IMO.

Chris

5. Blown347hatch

6. coupe 88

My car is not running yet, but there are several member using it with success. I hope i can get my car running soon.
    If you wait some time rigo will have his car running soon testing one, :angel:

7. MUSTLX50

This is what you need and stop beating around the bush. :2thumbs:

MSD 10 Plus box and coil like new 600- Bill Lutz