1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Possible spark plug blow out

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Renagade306, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Renagade306

The problem i just started noticing is that when i get between 3500-4500 i which is also the time i am at full boost which is 10#'s.
    What it does is just has a quick dead spot almost. then back to pulling hard. The plugs are 3923's gapped at 32. I hane a Msd 6al, coil, and plug wires. the car is a five speed 302 tfs heads tfs stage1 cam with a t-70. This has also showeed a lean spike on my lm-1 data log at the track and also has caused me to lose 4 tenths and four mph in the 1/4. Any suggestions would help.

2. chameleonstang

more boost. that will fix the 4 tenths :2thumbs:

3. Renagade306

I tried that. it happened last night. Just felt like a miss or somthing. Going to change my fuel filter later and close my gap and try that

4. chameleonstang

Hell hook up the bottle too. Go big. :chacha:

5. Gen1SVE

If this hesitation is when the engine is making peak torque and consuming peak fuel it could be the plugs after all. Gap then a little tighter .025" and see if that helps any. Just an idea.

6. Crowder

might ought to switch to a 2 step coolder plug, and like said above gap it to .23-.26. When i had my civic i had to run a 3 step colder plug but it was also on 20lbs and 110 octane. try a couple different things with the plugs before you start searching your ignition box and dizzy for problems

7. ash

are you sure the lm1 showed a lean spike or a miss ???
    .032 is tooooo much for msd 6al under boost
    generally a lean spike will pop out intake , and or burn the tip of the spark plug.
    i have found a 'spike " on lm1 logger can be a miss.

cheers
    ash

8. Renagade306

I think you right on the lm-1 looks like it is a pretty comen problem with a miss showing lean cause the unburnt o2. So i gapped at.24 and took it out tonight and seemed to clear it up. Did not really get a full pass cause the cop's are hellacious around here lately and we have a ton of first year rookies that are a pain. But anyway should be ready for pinks all out this weekend.

9. blacksaleen95

I've never had good luck with autolite plugs... I've always run the NGKs (tr6) and had much better luck than the autolites.....Also, that 6al is prob some of your problem...I've lost all faith in msd stuff...I've gone through 2 digital 6 boxes, and finally decided to go ls1 coils instead of adding more ign stuff.... Do you have good grounds on the msd box? I'd try the ngks at like .028 and see what happens.

10. hellbents10

MSD

Might Stop Discharging.

11. tonym

MSD Might Strand Driver

12. Renagade306

MSD Might start dicking me.
    Tr6 is the thread for trickflows? have to try them

13. Millhouse

I'd OHM out your wires ASAP. I just had a lean spike issue which I had a hunch was a missfire. Well, I was right...but it was attributed to a bad plug wire. I cut it down and re-crimped the end on and voila! No more lean spike and it runs silky smooth again.