1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Is the engine harder to start with the timing locked?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mtrain, Aug 31, 2011.

1. mtrain

I locked out my timing, and fired the engine up for the first time. Its a SBF with an MSD dizzy, with a 6AL box, and MSD coil.

I had to keep advancing the timing to get it going.

It that normal, I don't really mind the hard starting, but I do need to know if its normal or not......thanks.

I

2. PrecisionTurboMustang

Yes, the more advanced, the slower it will try to start. Does the 6al have a built in start retard function?

3. M&M Turbochargers

on a sbc usually 12-14 deg at idle makes them start at a bump of the key at a point usually to much timing will cause them to bump off the starter (kinda turn over really slow) but that is just a janer sbc though

4. cat herder

If it's carbed, just tap the throttle twice before cranking. It may take maybe 2-3 seconds on the starter but it won't kick back.

5. mtrain

As usual, thanks guys.

6. mtrain

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to start an engine that doesn't have enough gas in the fuel tank....... :bang:

Figured I would get an early start today on getting the engine broken in.

Well, I tried just about everything today to get the engine to start, with no luck.

Chased wires, etc. I just happened to notice that the back end of the truck was kinda raised up vs the front.

Well, I do have the Shockwave air suspension which isn't yet tuned which made the end of the truck raise up vs the front end.

Also I knew I didn't put but about two gallons of fuel in the tank, so I got a flashlight and shine a beam of light into the open tank hole, and sure enough, there was the fuel outlet and return fittings exposed to the world.

Got the rest of the gas in the 5 gallon jug, and emptied it into the tank, tried to start it again, and NOW WE HAVE IGNITION.

Sometimes when you do something new, like lock out the timing, and gap the plugs at .025 you tend to look there as the problem, but its always good to check the simple things first, after you quit running around in circles, and screaming. :stupid:

7. 7mgforce

How many degrees? And CID?

The reason I ask is I have a 302 20* lock and the thing turns on faster than any fi car that I've owned lol(95 and older)

8. mtrain

Actually now that I have taken the cap off of the fuel cell vent it starts VERY easy.

Although it is starting to drag on the starter after it gets warmed up.

Will this boost retard work ok for the street?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8676/