1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

93 foxbody 2.3 turbo swap

Discussion in 'Turbo Sport Compact, 4-6 Cylinder and Import Turbo Tech' started by Madmac, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Madmac

BEC0CD5B-7666-4FFD-9FB6-320E74714A7C.jpeg #ad
    466BDE27-559A-403F-9DFD-4D563884128D.jpeg #ad
    465F32A1-C9EB-4477-BBC0-E369AD5F3698.jpeg #ad
    DBB514E3-16FE-41F4-BDB5-823E1E6438B8.jpeg #ad
    Picked this car up a couple months ago. It’s a bone stock 1993 foxbody lx 2.3 I am the second owner I bought it off a older couple. It’s pretty cool because now I have a 73 mustang that is in the works of being turbocharged and now I’ll also have a 93 that will be turbocharger.

I’m wanting to make to make it a slightly wild daily with a good great power. Full interior to keep it comfy and way better suspensions upgrades these stock replacement shocks the previous owner had installed are pretty loose feeling. They are so loose to the point that I was going over a rather larger speed bump the person in front of me hit there brakes real quick. So I hit mine and my car squatted and the sped bump complete ripped my muffler off and bent up the rear of the exhaust pipe making it unusable.

I’ve been acquiring a lot of parts the last few months for the build.

So far I have a 2.3 turbo coupe engine and complete upgraded turbo set up that includes ported lower and gutted upper intake manifold. Big throttle body brown top injectors upgraded fuel rail and regulator. Bigger turbocharger. Bigger and better header with a 3 inch down pipe. More information to come

2. 91turboterror

That car is a Great find! Well when you demolished the factory catback it’s just gave you a reason to do a 3” catback or 2.5” dual exhaust to compliment the 3” DP lol. What trans in it?

3. Madmac

definitely it made it less work for me by it getting ripped off lol, I think I’m gonna run a 3 inch all the way back. Well I can tell you it’s not a t5 it’s the other 5 speed that is apparently made of glass from what I’ve read so I’m not sure yet if I want to find a t5 and bellhousing or put a c4 in it. It be fun with a c4 and reverse valve body

4. Russell

If it's a manual it should be the 4 cylinder version of the T5. They are not as strong as the V8 versions, but not that much weaker. I would run it.

5. Madmac

good to know I’ve done a lot of reading a lot of folks seem to swap it to the v8 t5 but I was planning on running it till it explodes

6. Madmac

Here’s more of what’s going on

this is the new goodies just sitting on top

322A8B2C-C6C1-435D-88C6-A14891A5E719.jpeg #ad

I took the head and everything off and found that the engine after taking measurements had been decked to zero at some point

322A8B2C-C6C1-435D-88C6-A14891A5E719.jpeg #ad
    339C4D10-FF9A-4E8D-A0F2-2F1064830BD2.jpeg #ad
    44A7AC44-135A-4DC0-B449-C481101FFB50.jpeg #ad

I’m going to tear the head apart do some porting and I’m strongly thinking about putting oversized valves in it to really help it breathe. Not sure on cam choice quite yet. I want it very streetable but I’m having trouble finding a cam for sale boport is no longer selling their 2.1 cams and they are only selling their 1.5 but it’s not their cam it’s just a regrind of a factory cam. I was looking at the crane 190017 it has .480 lift 278 286 duration 110 lobe seperation. it sounds great and from talking to others it runs like a raped ape till 5600 which I find would be great for a street car.

7. Madmac

Got a lead on a 8.8 hope to get by the weeks end then I’ll be rebuilding it with a 3.55 lsd. I’m leaning toward the bbk gripp lower and upper control arm kit. I have a set of 5 lug disc brakes. So I’m thinking about doing the 5 lug swap on it also. I would like to lower the rear 1 inch while I’m at and add a sway bar I’ve been looking at strange shocks so I might go with them also

8. Pro-SC

If you can find a good turbo coupe five speed, you will be much better off than the n/a 2.3 5 speed. They have better gear ratios and can handle more power. You can also check out Racer Walsh for cams. I see that cores are getting tougher to find, options are getting limited there.
    https://racerwalsh.com/product-category/2-32-5/camshafts-2-32-5/hydraulic-roller-cams/
    Nx coupe has experience building these, I have played with them but prefer sbf.
    What are your plans for efi? Going to run a eec or aftermarket?
    Calypso green is a cool color!

9. Madmac

that is a turbo coupe engine. I have two computers one from turbocoupes one is stock and one is remapped to run 10 pounds so they said. I am thinking about just running a pimp or the rusefi looks hopeful

Pro-SC likes this.
  10. 91turboterror

The strongest out of the T5 is the v8 world class ones iirc they were the 1991-1993. If you can deal with the 3.35 first gear and has a .64 5th gear. You’d have to turn down the area where the pilot bearing rides . I think the turbocoupe uses something like a 3.90 first gear and a .79 fifth .

11. Pro-SC

Yea, I was wrong. For some reason I thought the turbo coupe one had a higher power rating over the n/a version. The 85/86 svo trans had a 3.50 first gear ratio which would work nice but the v8 world class ones had a 3.35 which would work well with 3.73 rear end gears. I found my turbo coupe ran out of first gear really fast. Why not that new tremec 5 speed, looks like a nice piece.

12. 91turboterror

The TKX is an awesome choice. It’s supposed to handle 8k shifts and 600hp

13. Pro-SC

I think that’s the trans I am going to use when I do a 2.3 ecoboost swap.

14. Madmac

Real great info here, idk what I’ll choose but I think I’ll run the one I have till it explodes in the mean time. I should be getting my rear end any day now once I get some free time. Then I’ll start the rebuild and all new rear control arms and things. I have found that this car is awful in the rain it doesn’t stick to the ground well at all.

15. Russell

What is the condition of the tires? I have never had a 2.3 mustang, but my 89 LX 5.0 did ok as long as it had good tires. It would hydroplane some as the tread go lower.

16. 91turboterror

I used to drive my mustang in the snow and didn’t have much problem as long as I had good all season tires on it. Once I put summer tires on it went nowhere in the snow

17. Madmac

they are brand new only about 6000 miles on them maybe they are just garbage tires lol.

Russell likes this.
  18. Russell

Maybe, some are just better than others. Ones that have a grove or two all the way around are generally the best.

19. Madmac

I’ll probably look into getting some all weather tires then. After I do the rear end swap and 5 lug swap I’ll put some different wheels and put a much wider tire on it and with the lsd that I’ll put in it ought to help a lot compared to what I have going now

20. Madmac

Well I got the 8.8 finally. Going to order some 5 lug axles and 3.55 gears and of course all new bearings and seals. And a new pumpkin cover. Then I’ll get my upper and lower control arms still unsure of what springs and struts to run. I think I’m going to go with a 15x9 or 15x10 inch wheel I’d love to put a 275 tire but I’m thinking it’s going to be tight and may have to go with a 255