1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

CX Racing Hotside

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by fatblockabody, Feb 18, 2013.

1. fatblockabody

I'm posting this up as an unbiased first impression look at what is in the box. I have not seen a lot about this hotside so I had no idea what to expect. Overall, ordering was straight forward and I had the kit within a week.

Contained in the box was:

3 V Band clamps
    1 Wastegate gasket
    2 Header gaskets
    1 T4 Gasket
    8 SST bolts with a flat washer, lock washer, and a nut.

Packaging was decent and there was no parts damage.

For $425 shipped the hotside doesn't seem like a terrible start to a custom project. I will be finishing it off with a Turbonetics T72, Tial 46mm Wastegate, and custom coldside utilizing a cx intercooler.

When the kit is on the car I will add any fitment isues/concerns/ etc.

I took the pictures with my iphone, if anyone would like better quality pictures of anything specific just ask and I can throw them up.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. Turbo-Box

I bought one of those kits a few months ago. The female side of the ball flange is completely wrong, but other than that I'm curious to see how it works.

3. fatblockabody

Define wrong? I'm curious to check for a similar issue.

4. stangman9897

As bad as i hate to say it the shit doesn't look that bad for $425.00 , what's that kit fit ? only thing i don't like is the header tube length , on the header with the turbo flange i assume is the pass side the 1st tube is maybe 3" long and the one on the drivers side is 3 times as long as are other tubes. Kinda like running a long tube on the driver side and a shorty on the pass side, just seems uneven , seems like you would have 2 different pulses. Hey just my brain thinking. lol i thought that was what equal length headers was all about.

One thing i would do is surface all the flanges , there a little on the rough side. could work the way they are but it would work a lot better to clean up the surfaces even the one for the gate.

5. Turbo-Box

As in the female side is too small to accept the male side and come even remotely close to sealing.

6. fatblockabody

I plan on surfacing the flanges as I drew a similar conclusion. The kit is for a fox body.

Also, you are correct. The side with the flange is the passenger side.

Ok thanks, I will check on that ASAP and report my results.

7. fastspec2

Throw away the gaskets

8. jaredsamurai

maybe trim out the woven stainless from the inside of that flex join before it ends up clogged like most cheap flex joints do preturbine.

9. madspeed

so the cx racing stuff is ss?

10. Turbo-Box

When I bought that kit it was advertised as being mild steel. It's been sitting uncoated in my unheated garage for 6 months, it hasn't rusted, and a magnet doesn't stick to it. So......... I'd call it stainless.

11. 1bad03snake

I might buy it and cut the flange off and weld up a LS1 flange My kit is mild steel so far no leaks but I havent ran it hard

12. fatblockabody

I may be able to get access to a spectrometer at work to see what the composition of it is.

13. jfive

If thats stainless, it must be 409. Looks decent. Is there undercut on some of those tig welds, or is that my eyes.

14. madspeed

not a bad set for the money. install yet?

15. fatblockabody

Within the next month or so. I'll be sure to document any issues here.

16. stangman9897

If you can get a piece 1/2 X 1/2" i can tell you exactly what it is, every element and what percent, or a small piece that could be tested and sent back, does not hurt the part.

17. fatblockabody

Well they are definitely a 300-series stainless steel. Which kind of pisses me off as I wanted mid steel headers. Oh well, I intended on building my own set eventually and just using these as a starter for a year/two at most.

18. fatblockabody

Wanted to add, while it is 300 series I do not think it is 304. Most 304 has a slight magnetism to it. This stuff has nothing.

19. Adoogie3

I was also interested in this kit. I called them today and asked them material questions and fitment stuff. They said its 304 stainless and there is no downpipes available that fits this kit. You have to fabricate something up. I was kind of dissapointed in this. He said quality is pretty descent. He said over the last couple years the quality has gone up. He also stated the old stuff was 18 guage and the newer stuff is 16turning guage and comes with all the clamps and gaskets. Im half tempted to buy this setup but I really don't want to Fab up a downpipes. I just want bolt and go. He also noted that the other downpipes he sells comes nowhere near fitting this header kit so don't think it will.

Looking for other hotside options. I called ponydown and no answer or return call.

20. fatblockabody

[​IMG]#ad

Put it together in the garage this weekend. Fits together ok out of the car/off the engine stand.