1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Is ON3 the worst thing to happen to the Turbo Mustang world?

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by Disney Lincoln, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Disney Lincoln

I ask because I keep seeing all these people that bought ON3 kits, and hate their lives because of it. But on the other hand, they at least helped to bring more people and interest into the Turbo Mustang world. I know the kits are terrible and practically worthless, but if we get some people that persevere and end up staying in the game then we're better off, no?

Thoughts?

2. stangman9897

I think it's a 2 headed coin. Some that buy it figure out it's shit and then look for better quality parts and write it off as a costly learning experience and then others will say fuck this turbo shit and go back to superchargers or NOS , I would say it's a 50/50 deal. Right now who do you go to for a kit ? BG isn't looking good with damn near a year wait time and bad customer service, Hellion has a bad rep for the new kits because of the 3 to 1 back pressure problems and the CX Racing isn't much better than Chads shit. About the only person I know of that builds a quality kit would be Dustin @ CPR and he doesn't have kits for Foxbody cars or SN95 cars , you have to send him you car for a custom kit which a lot won't do and you always have the guys that want a 700hp turbo car on a $1500 budget. I think ON3 has done more damage to the turbo scene than anyone else has, he's put the good guys out of business with his china shit.
    A local forum im on has 3 ON3 kits for sale that are new, they bought the kit and couldn't get it to fit and have no fab skills and said fuck it and 2 went back to blowers and 1 back to NOS.

3. yellowpony

I am pretty sure that CG fabrications is the go to guy for a quality kit, heard he has fast turn around. If not, take it to a shop and have them build you a kit, probably won't cost you much more than an a kit bought from a turbo shop and actually have it built for your car. After having a production kit on my car versus having a kit built around my car, I have had way less problems.

Anthony

4. stangman9897

If I go with a new kit on my new motor I will go with GG fab but will most likely build my own , I did forget to list then as a good one.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. Disney Lincoln

I guess it could help us keep sleeper status in the everyone will think that a turbo'd 5.0L is a POS and can't run after seeing all these cars on jackstands due to ON3 kits.

6. Weather Man

S&H Performance makes good money upgrading the ON3 stuff.

7. Hemann

That would be a heck of a good side job.

8. Kerrdogg

I blame Cartech, they were one of the first Mustang kit builders and let people down, Turbo Engineering was next (Darin is still waiting for parts :) from 1991) O3 just was following tradition. Over the yeas on TTI has stayed true to the consumer however they currently sell mostly twin turbo vette kits and they run about $14k! It was an easy formula, especially the fox body cars, I guess it also attracted some of the biggest dicks in the automotive aftermarket world...

9. kainedogg

So we are saying, stay away from ON3 kits, got it. :encouragement:

10. mikegager

i dont think there has ever been a turbo kit that didnt have problems either related with the kit itself or the company. that said i think most of the people that have problems with the on3 kit are expecting WAY to much.

10-12 years ago there were only a handful of people that were willing to take the plunge and go the turbo route, now with the introduction of complete kits for under $2K every squirrel and his brother has to get one. for every disgruntled customer there is a satisfied one right next to him.

11. gotageta5oh

In a word , Yes.

Sad part is that Chad still has the same poor customer service and a lousy kit. I am local to his shop and most people locally see his kits for what they are.

He push some good people out of business, or so close to the brink of being out of business they may never recover.

12. 99TTGT

YES.!

13. Disney Lincoln

I will say this, I've been looking around a bit and On3 has without a doubt HELPED the used Mustang market! There are more Mustangs for sale now, pretty cheap I might add, and the ones that are cheap generally have one thing in common. Yep, the On3 Turbo kit. It's amazing and sad at the same time that there are so many out there. I had no idea he sold that many kits. He must have had the whole town in China making that crap.

14. 91turboterror

On3 makes their money off the people who want to be cheap & don't want to listen to advice. All the blockheads gotta learn the hard way. For every ill fitting low quality kit that happens to luckily fit I bet theirs at least 100 that don't. If you knowingly buy a kit from a company that screwed people over you can't be too swift & ya better stop eating stupid flakes for breakfast lol. I don't know before I make a big purchase I like to do research first.

15. stangman9897

Going through his ebay feedback one day he sold 7 kits in one day and that's just on ebay. he gets to screw people and laugh all the way to the bank while the good guys are closing their doors .

16. turbofreek

Who might that guy be??? Brian by chance??? I see a few have issues with him now in this very thread. Sad to see that. Brian and I have talked for hours on the phone before and swapped parts etc... over the years. One of the nicest people I know off a forum. I really hate seeing him get beaten down like on here.

17. gotageta5oh

Him and others. Brian's is the kit that the original On3 was a copy of and he as well as others have suffered because of the onslaught of shitty chinese parts that are peddled by On3 and others. I have personally helped to "fix" two On3 kits that did not fit worth a crap. And the service offered after the sale was a joke. Both cars now have Prochargers because the owners got tired of screwing with them. They will probably never try turbocharging again.

18. 2_slow_5.0

I have not been very active on this forum in the last few years but seeing all these cheap kits and all the other companies that have pissed everyone off left me thinking, and thinking, and thinking. I have been offshore for 15 years and with the birth of my second child decided to make a change so the wife and I put plans in motion to start a business. We just closed on 4 acres in Katy Texas and by March of next year hope to have out shop up and all the equipment in place ready to go. My primary focus will be retailing parts however will have a mandrel bender in-house and I do intended on making kits. I hope before the end of the second quarter next year to be able to offer kits for several different setups in both stainless and mild steel to fit all budgets and compete with all this garbage out there but with quality standards in place.

19. Disney Lincoln

Whoa!!! Big step!!! Congrats and most importantly, GOOD LUCK!!!!!

20. 2_slow_5.0

Thanks I know we will certainly need it. Big adjustments and a swallowing of pride has taken place in this decision that's for sure. We have moved out of my 2500 sqft home in a very nice place and rented it out. Soon I will be buying a trailer or modular home (if you prefer) to live in just to cut living expenses and make this more possible. Hopefully we will be able to build oneday if things work out . Its a sad thing to say but of everyone I know who is self employed most work twice as much for half the money and with the way the goverment and things are now on business owners I do not expect it to be any different for me.

From my personal experience and personal outlook its typically lack of honesty and customer service playing the biggest part of this type of business failing. Having been on that side of the road for so long I know what its like and hope I never have those issues.

bridal-shoal