1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Sputtering under boost

Discussion in 'General Carb Tech' started by 9iron, Aug 24, 2012.

1. 9iron

Just got my car running with my CSU 850 bt, novi 2000, 445 ci Windsor, 10.5 to 1 compression. Starts and idles fine, drives ok at light throttle but starts to miss and sputter when I try to get into boost (at 0 vac and did not want to push it any further). Fuel pressure is set at 7 psi base, timing locked at 20 degrees total. Before looking into the carb, just wondering if using an incorrect heat range could cause this. I currently have NGK fr5 in the tfs high ports and I know I should be using a much colder one (it was getting late but just wanted to make sure the car drove ok). Can it cause this even at little or no boost? Thanks

2. half-fast

Do you have a wideband on it to see whats happening when it starts to miss? maybe the powervalves are coming in too early and flooding it out or its going real lean

3. Bad Medicine Racing

Idk if that will cause it, but that plug is too hot imo. Give more info...Brpv front and rear? Fuel? I'm guessing E85 with that much compression.

4. StabbinStevem

Only 20 degrees of timing might be your problem as well.

5. 9iron

Got the car back finally from the bodyshop last week and started to look into the issue. I changed the plugs to the correct ones (NGK 9's) but did not help. Turned out being the rear float was way too high, re-adjusted it, and now drives very nice and revs clean. I even got into it in first and second and boost is now at 12psi and a/f at 10.4. Still too fat but not going to push it any harder till I get it on the chassis dyno plus ill probably pulley the charger down