1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

is a LITTLE shaft play normal on a turbo??

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by BYEBYE2U, Jun 4, 2013.

1. BYEBYE2U

hey guys,we got my buddies turbo rebuilt and the old bearings looked pretty bad and burnt looking.well,after the turbo was reassembled there is still play in the shaft:angry: so now we don't know whats going on. we did what the video said and still got the same result.a memebr on here posted a link of the video on how to rebuild one and it's fairly simple but theres still play in this one not as much as before but not to far from it. just wondering if any play is normal? could the shaft be worn out or what causing the play? thanks

2. stangman9897

Did you buy the ebay rebuild kit ? A new turbo has some play because of the oil clearance, there has to be enough room between the shaft & bearings for the oil so dry it will have some play but not a lot, is the play in and out or side to side.

3. M&M Turbochargers

as stated before even new turbos move a little,, the wheels do not touch the housing correct???

4. Tgbstang90

Up and down is okay. Even a slight side to side is....iffy iffy but possibly still okay. In and out is not okay. The oil that runs through the turbo acts as a liquid bearing and fills in the slack that you feel moving the shaft up and down.

5. BYEBYE2U

yes,we got the ebay kit which is susposed to be ok. and I took it apart again just to double check and the bearings DO move in between the holding clips and inside their housing.when you look at them with everyhting out of the way while wiggling the shaft you can see them slighlty move inside their housing.with the perpeller back on it doesn't touch the housing now but still moves. NO in and out movement though

6. stangman9897

If your going to buy a rebuild kit you should by one for your turbo and not an ebay kit that fits all or most brands, don't get me wrong i buy a lost of shit off ebay BUT it's name brand shit that's just cheaper on there than summit or Jegs, i never buy the knock off china shit.

I know at least a few will say im full of shit they do it and it works , just one mans opinion of what works. seems yours didn't but it could be the shaft, if the bearings were burn that bad it could have worn the shaft down some .

7. BYEBYE2U

i thought so to but i took it all back apart and looked closely again and it's the bearings moveing inside their housing and thats what these other guys said was normal for oil clearence and flow. the shaft don't move inside the bearings at all,it's the bearings moving inside their housing. one bearing was burnt on the outside some but the other wasn't so bad. the insdide of them were fine.the shaft had only a little blueing on it.

8. stangman9897

If the bearing was spinning inside the housing it probably made the bearing race in the housing larger causing the new bearing to be loose.