1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How much boost do you launch with?

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by botietr, Oct 18, 2010.

1. botietr

How much boost do you leave with and how fast do you bring it in?
    I ran my car this weekend for the first time with the new combo .first 2 passes the suspension needed adjustment as it went right ,right after the launch,i straightened that out and on the third pass i launched it with 8 lbs.looked a lil lazy out the hole did a 1.33@60 (which isnt too bad i guess for the third pass) but once out about 100 ft it broke the tires loose and i had to pedal it.im thinking im ramping the boost in too quick,then again,maybe i just need to work on the suspension first. watch the third run ,only descent run, and see what you think.
    thanks.

2. THE358BANSH

26 pounds and 6100 rpm. We bring in another 10 pounds in 1.5 seconds or so. Hit it hard and keep it rolling...Evan

3. yellowpony

Goddamn...

4. botietr

X2 lol

5. ash

^^^
    your a bad man.... ;)

15-17 psi @ 4500 on the 2 step
    all in by 1.7 , with 36 psi total

6. ash

what boost controller ?

7. botietr

MSD 7562 C02 driven.

8. 73maro511TT

If you were 100 feet out before it started ramping up odds are the car had "settled in" a bit too much( not saying it wasn't accelerating still but that your rate of acceleration had slowed down from say the initial 40 feet) and blew the tires off because of that. Like they said you've got to hit it and bring it in as fast as the tire will let you while still keeping the weight transferred to the back. Something that I figured out after a friend installed a racepak datalogger on his car. After figuring out what kind of rate of acceleration the car liked, racepak has 2 internal g meters) we were able to ramp his nitrous in over 1.7 seconds sooner. Picked the car up 2.5 tenths and a little over 3 mph.

9. 73maro511TT

Btw Evan, how the hell are you guys leaving the line with 26 psi with a clutch? I see you've got a lenco, but damn that's impressive. Slipper clutch? Heard of guys getting A couple psi by tuning air gaps, but. Some kind of anti lag like alkyv6 figured out on his GN?

10. THE358BANSH

Nothing crazy, just the way a normal clutch deal works. Lots of fuel, lots of ignition, and zero timing makes for good light shows! We still run a pedal clutch, and by no means has it been easy to learn so far. But I think I might be finally figuring it out. I realized after watching this video that I needed to move the wastegate dumps. The car does not like driving over hot rubber, especially only one side... Sorry for the threadjack botietr

11. ash

lol, those exhaust valves toast ?

12. PrecisionTurboMustang

Way to stay in it, that second pass looked like a wreck waiting to happen.

13. Crawlin5.0

Does someone need to hold the GTO driver's hand when he stages or what?

14. AlkyV6

Holy cow! So what kind of boost numbers are the mere mortals among us leaving the line at?!!
    Great information! This is the next area I'll be tackling now that I have a halfway decent staging and launch tune put together to play with.
    If I may ask, how are you guys ramping in the boost? Smoothly ramping it in, or stepping it in?
    I get the idea of keeping the suspension loaded. The harder you launch, the quicker you want to ramp in the power to keep the suspension loaded. To a point, I'm sure.

15. Fast82z

I know I need to work on better traction, but it seems all I can plant is 3-4psi at 3500rpm right off the trans brake for 1.6x 60' times. I have had a much looser converter and slightly different overall setup once that did pretty good launching from 6-7psi and 4500-5000rpm pulling the wheels and a 1.30 60' time. Over the winter I'm going to make an attempt for better traction and spooling so I can launch from 10-15psi and 3000-3500rpm, but we'll see how that works out.

16. wantabe

smooth is the answer..
    and yes, once the tyre is planted, you have to keep it planted...

17. AlkyV6

Thanks.
    The last time out with the car I was up to around 12 psi (180 kPa MAP) and 5500 rpm for the launch. The car did good. A 1.30 60'. The car carried the front tires for about 25-30 feet. Shooting for about 40'.
    This weekend I'll be stepping it up a few pounds (closer to 200 kPa MAP) and starting the boost controller at a higher level through the first part of the run. I'm going to test the theory of trying to keep the tires loaded. I eventually would like to see if I can get through the 1-2 shift at closer to full target boost for the run.

At what point do the stator shaft splines on a TH400 like to strip out of the pump cover?!

18. wantabe

no idea on th400
    but in my glide, i spun the stator tube in 75 passes...
    80 % of those were in the 6 second zone
    double pinned tube now

19. slow67

I don't think its nearly as bad of a problem for 400s as it is glides.

20. AlkyV6

I think you may be right about that. If I recall correctly the TH400 stator has more spline contact area than the PG.