1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Internal or External waste gate???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Coupe Devil, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Coupe Devil

On my JY build I am using Garrett turbos stock from Grand Nationals. They have internal waste gates. I was wondering if there would be any benefit to bypassing those and adding a single larger external waste gate? Any driveability gains or losses? Make more power, easier to tune around?

2. 1sicklx

ttt

just curious on this question

3. 302f150

What size engine are they going on? It might help a little with the tuning..idk for sure. Two wastegates are gonna be slightly different even if they are set for the same boost. But a lot of guys have used the internal t3 wastegates on twin setups. Look up millhouse, he has a fair amount of documentation on his build

4. xr8tt

With T3 twins internal work fine.. I have made some mods to exhaust / wastegate housing to make W/G flow better..
    With approx 700 fwhp using electronic boost controller..
    I find the EBC to help more as it holds boost till set pressure.. While with mechanical it can leak a little before opening..
    Much more hot parts and fabrication with external gates...
    However I have found external gates to be better on a big single...
    It depends on your power goals and application..
    Two T4 sized turbos I would use externals gates..
    I also find the lower boost levels require a higher efficient gate..
    To maintain reliable controllable boost level..