1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

intercoolers

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 70wayfarer, Dec 15, 2015.

1. 70wayfarer

been looking around for air to air intercoolers. what are people using on their turbo builds. my mill is a 360/410 stroker with s475, street strip. looking at a 24x12x4 (600x300x100) bar and plate. so many options. are the cheaper ebay ones any good.
    i see that some are rated at HP and some on flow. piping is 3.5".

cheers

2. lowboost2v

Look for Garrett or Bell cores. Chiseled Performance makes great coolers.

3. TURBO-D MIKE

Correct......Garrett cores are VERY efficient, but the most expensive too. You get what you pay for with cores. No other way to put it. Bell is a good core also.

4. Forcefed86

I agree Garrett cores are the way to go if you can afford them. Also 3.5" inlets/outlest aren't needed at your power levels... Zero benefit IMO.

Treadsone units are middle ground between the Garrets and the china Ebay stuff. Around $500 shipped. Mine worked VERY well compared to the similar dimension Ebay china core unit. Picked up almost 2 lbs of boost and charge temps dropped a good 40-45* at the same 25lbs They also have a new 6" core that looks promising.

this is their new one..

https://www.treadstoneperformance.c...cat_key=63&prodname=TR1260 Intercooler 1300HP

Mine is the "1200 hp" core.
    12.5" X 28" X 4.5"

[​IMG]#ad

Treadstone

[​IMG]#ad

Ebay (12x28x4)

[​IMG]#ad

5. 40FordDeluxe

I'm going to try to use one of the treadstone twin turbo intercoolers on my 40 when I get to that point.

6. Hemann

I have ran 123mph in the 1/8 with this intercooler and haven't pushed it very hard yet.

7. Forcefed86

Guys have gone 7's on that intercooler... that doesn't make it a good intercooler. Or mean you won't pick up a ton with a better core.

8. Hemann

You are very right. Don't know OP goals. Most seem to want cheap to get project going. Just giving options.

That intercooler you have now looks nice.

9. TomR

Unless you are locked into A2A, consider air-water-air. You can get less restriction and a whole lot of flexibility moving things around. I use a modified type 26 frozen boost with VW radiator as an exhanger, and with 25 psi and over 1000 HP intake charge temp is below 40F rise over ambient.

10. Jeremy

The treadstone is definitely a better unit regardless, but you also went from a tube and fin to a bar and plate, and thats where most of that difference comes from. Bar and plate has a lot less pressure drop and more efficient. Seen 4psi difference on one setup same size intercooler just tube and fin swap to bar and plate.