1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Going to twins from a roots

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Growler, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Growler

First post here after a long time of lurking.. Great site and great info here!!!

After doing a ton of research and reading info here with the help of some greats guys, we got a real nice package put together. Going to do it in two stages.. First will be the top end, and second will be a short block.. Love to get some opinions on this setup will work out.. Pretty excited about it!

Phase 1
    - 496, forged 4340 SCAT assembly, H beams, JE flat tops (will be replaced in phase 2)
    - AFR 315 CNC'd heads, titanium retainers, Inconel exhaust valves
    - T&D shaft mount rockers
    - Bullet Cams custom grind
    - Twin 80mm S4E WORK turbos
    - Ethanol conversion (VP Racing C85)

Phase2
    - Dart Big M, standard deck (509)
    - Callies Magnum crank
    - Callies Ultra I beams
    - Diamond dished pistons
    - bored for .904 lifters

Still up in the air about going blow through or FI, and would love to get some input on both from experiences...

2. B E N

I use the FiTech Efi and really like it, its fairly popular on this site. CSU carbs are popular too, what are you going to put the engine in and what will the vehicle be used for?

3. Growler

It'll be 90% street, so a street/strip setup.. Its a 73' backhalfed Camaro running 31x18's, 3:55's and probably around 3000#'s..

I know very little about modern day EFI, Im an old school guy.. SO the turbo thing is new to me too, but I heard amazing things about the newer blow throughs too, especially with the fuel temps.. You find it much easier to tune with your efi system verses jetting carbs?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  4. B E N

The fitech tunes out much like a carb, everything is even labeled like it would be in a carb. but instead of changing diaphragms or jets you change settings in the digital display. It's fast to learn because you get immediate feedback in the way the car behaves, and it self learns off of the wideband. Fitech is also annular discharge so you get a pretty good charge cooling effect from it.

5. Mnlx

With your build you would easily max out the Fitech, and it's injectors though. Probably not the best direction to go imo.

6. B E N

Very valid, out of the box their big system will only go to 1200hp, I'm not sure if anyone has been able to change the injectors and get it to run or not.

7. Growler

Yeah I’m looking at double that when we’re going all out.. The Holley Dominator a good route to look into?

8. 434chevelle

That would definitely be the route I would go.