1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Intercooler water pump questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mike1157, May 7, 2014.

1. mike1157

I'm using an A2W I/C mounted under the driver fender in front of the tire. I have fabricated a heat exchanger system using two small fan cooled alum radiators, daisy-chained together. I have a 2.5 gal water reservoir that all of the water will come from, and go back to.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The radiators are in the trunk, fed fresh air courtesy of two 6" holes that are in each quarter
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Now that I've qualified what I have,..my two questions are this:

I can either buy two Bosch aux water pumps (like the kind used on 03/04 Cobra) and mount them at opposite ends of the circuit in a push/pull configuration so that one will supply water to the intercooler, and another will push it back through the radiators, and into the reservoir.
    OR
    I can buy a single Meziere 20 GPM unit and be done with it.

1.Which would make a better system?
    2. Is it better to run the water from the reservoir into the radiators, then to the I/C, then back to the reservoir, or directly from the reservoir to the I/C, then back to the radiators before dumping it back into the reservoir?

or Will it matter?

2. Turbo Meister

I have the same water pump for my a/w intercooler system and it works great. I think you should direct the water from the reservoir to the IC since that supply is coldest....if you are adding ice. If no ice, then the other way would be better since that would be the coolest.

3. mike1157

You have which pump? the Bosch, or the Meziere?

4. TA153

pretty sure since those bosch pumps are push pumps you'd want to run them both at the res and not one at res/one at half way point. if costs are same id run 1 of the meziere pumps vs 2 bosch. if 2 bosch is cheaper id use those. ran parallel, like you run 2 inline fuel pumps.

you want water to exit intercooler(hottest temp in system) and go to heat exchangers.

5. TTF/Ken Staff Member

I'd go with Meziere. The Bosch pumps are known for reliability issues long term, and two of them just means two possible points of failure.

6. Turbo Meister

I have the Meziere....it is powerful.

7. sarg

There was some testing done by Lingenfelger (sp?) And the mezier dis not do so hot under any resistance. I personally use a rule 2000 pump and it is moving a ton of water for cheap. But as with the mezier, too much pressure and it drops off. Use the largest tubing possible.

8. mike1157

I've already ran -12 to the I/C and back. But,...there are two radiators, and the I/C that the water has to pass through. Do you think that restriction will be a problem for that pump? It looks like I have to build a reservoir that I can submerge the pump in..... Or is there an inlet, and an outlet? The one I have is only 2.5 gals. Thinking maybe the Rule will run the water too fast through the circuit, and not allow the radiators enough time to do their job?

9. sarg

You can't have too much water flow honestly. Old wives tale. Here is the thread with the testing. The "common aftermarket" pumps are mezier.

10. Troy

I ran both pumps on a rear mount water tank set up on my mustang, first I tried each as a single and they didnt move much volume. I ran both of them(1 at front and 1 at the rear) and the flow was good. Btw the Mezier failed after about 4500 miles, the bosch is still going.

11. sarg

Those bosch are good little pumps!